**** Do i take vitamins right away after surgery? ****

cynthia_chicago
on 9/4/12 3:56 pm - IL
Hello Everyone,

Question:  I know what vitamins we take for life..... but upon return from the hospital can/do we take chewable vitamins right away? 

What do you think?

Thank you all for replies!
Elizabeth G.
on 9/4/12 3:58 pm - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
What's your doc say? What's you NUT say?  Mine said it's ok to wait a week or two. Said they sometimes cause nausea and that they'd prefer the pouch to heal up a bit before I dive in.
stlfocus
on 9/4/12 4:17 pm - IA
My surgeon had me hold off for 4 weeks.  Obviously, you need to follow your doc's directions.

jamiebrain
on 9/4/12 4:34 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I waited until I was moved to full liquids.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

SarahLee1969
on 9/4/12 4:37 pm - NY
Check with your surgeon. Mine had me start all except calcium when I got home from the hospital. I started my calcium after my 3 week apt.
Each surgeon has their own protocols and preferences.
65rosesmom
on 9/4/12 4:40 pm
It seems there are a lot of differences. I was told to wait until the one week appt., but to hold off on iron and calcium until I healed more.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Candy V.
on 9/4/12 6:44 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
My doc told me to wait till 3 weeks (I asked for his reasoning He said the chewables take up to much room right at first)

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

poet_kelly
on 9/4/12 6:56 pm - OH
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says to start your multi and iron right away, to start your calcium citrate within one month and your B12 within three months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Heidi T.
on 9/4/12 8:08 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
 My doc had me start taking them the day I came home two a day for two week then I could take pills again.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
FireOpal
on 9/5/12 6:02 am
RNY on 05/15/12
I was advised to start taking all in chewable or liquid form right away.  If I didn't have them in chewable form, I was supposed to crush them.  Each doctor has his own protocol.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views