Chia seeds

slrm2m2
on 8/24/12 4:58 pm - Canada
 Do I need to worry about chia seeds expanding in my pouch?  Should I soak them first so they are already expanded before I eat them?  I want to start supplementing with them post-op since I used them pre-op.  Any chia seed users out there..can you share how you use them.  Thanks!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Ladytazz
on 8/24/12 5:03 pm
I take a tablespoon of chia seeds every day.  I soak them in milk because I like the taste.  It has helped my regularity but I also have taken Miralax for the last few years and it's not working as well as it used to and I think that is happening with the chia seeds as well.  Today I was very constipated in spite of the chia seeds but it may be because I had some popcorn yesterday and that was just too much fiber.
Anyway, you may want to check with your NUT or surgeon or just try some and see how you do.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/12 12:53 am

>Ladytazz: I know this is a late response, but ...  I just saw Dr. Oz on tv this morning and listened to him carefully.  Then I read everything I could about the benefits/risks to using Chia Seeds. I decided to just go get some and try it. I went to GNC.  They had powdered (milled) or white seeds.  Both were by "NUTIVA" and are organic. When I looked at the white seeds, there are actually both black and white in the bag. Mostly white though. No difference in nutritional value. Just that some people who put the seeds in their food or bake with them, prefer the white color over the black color. My band has a moderate fill presently.  I put 2 tablespoons in tall glass of tropi 50 red grapefruit juice (2/3) and water (1/3).  I had to keep mixing the solution cause most seeds sink and a few float. I drank down 1/3 first and felt a fullness coming on.  I slowed down and took my time (about 15 minutes) to stir and drink the rest of the mixture. The rest started to absorb the juice and water and became gelatinous but not sticky. Slippery and not clumpy. Still drinkable and liquidy, not thick undrinkable like metamucil gets.  I feel great right now. No pain or tightness in my pouch. No PB'ing. And most of all, Not hungry! Hope this helps! :)

KatCooper
on 8/25/12 8:37 am - Collierville, TN
I put chia seeds in my yogurt with no problems.  I love them!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 243 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 270 views