Surgeon's office frustration & surgery date

longhornrose
on 8/21/12 11:15 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
FINALLY - got a surgery date (Thursday, Sept. 13). Of course, I had to call them to find out what it was. I talked to them last week (after I called them), and they told me I was approved by my insurance. They were like, "Oh, yeah, by the way, your insurance approved your surgery." Okay. So when is my surgery? "Well, we'll call you when we know for sure, but it'll probably be the second week of September."

Fast forward to one week later (it's now 3 weeks until tentative surgery date), and I haven't heard anything, so I call again. "Let me check. Okay, your surgery will be Sept. 13." Me: Okay, what do I do next? Them: "We'll call you with instructions, you'll come in and get pre-op diet, shakes, yada, yada." So, the pre-op diet starts two weeks before surgery (Aug. 30), and what do you want to bet I have to call them on Sept. 29???

In looking back over my notes - I've kept notes of all phone calls, actions I've taken to get this thing done - they've called me ONE TIME since my consult on Feb. 24!!! Am I crazy, or is this just a little ridiculous??? Every step of the way, I've had to assert myself to get anything done. I don't mind being assertive, because it's to my benefit to do so, but when people tell me they'll call me back, and DON'T CALL ME BACK, it really gets under my skin, ya know?

Okay, my rant is over. I'M APPROVED! I HAVE A DATE! IT'S REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/21/12 11:59 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
That is almost unbelievable , next time you call them because they have not called you back , and they SAY they will call you back remind them that they have only returned ONE call since Feb.!! I would also let the office manager and the doc know , believe me they are not going to cancel your surgery , they like the money !!! and that is their business and it looks like they have some inproving to do.

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Dave Chambers
on 8/21/12 11:59 am - Mira Loma, CA
You chose the surgeon and you know the office "track record" on returning phone calls.  Call them every day if you have to so you know all details about when to report to hospital, etc.  Have them email you an schedule if at all possible.  You might also try to speak to the office manager--maybe they don't know about these issues in the office. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Melyssa S.
on 8/21/12 12:31 pm - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
 Absolutely you need to talk to the office mgr or the dr they have a serious problem with personel.
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

longhornrose
on 8/21/12 12:58 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Well, the situation with my surgeon's office is a little unusual.  He's new to our area - when I had my consult, he was just getting his office opened - and his wife (who's a former OR nurse) was his only "employee".  He was using a facility in San Antonio to do insurance processing and billing, etc., but has since hired someone locally to do that.  So at first, there was a LOT of confusion.  It seemed like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing, but that's starting to get worked out.  They still have not gotten the clue, though, that when you run a business - even a medical business - you need to provide good customer service! 

Now, my surgeon has been great:  he offered his e-mail at my consult, and has responded to several questions I've had along the way, so no complaints there.  And because I know his staff is in transition/training, I've tried to be very patient with them.  But it's still frustrating as heck!

I have a crazy idea for after surgery, though:  I want to go to work for him, as a patient coordinator/advocate!  Is that absolutely weird???  I have always been a nut for providing good customer service, and that's the one thing my surgeon really, really needs.  He's very skilled, very patient success-oriented, but he needs someone who can communicate effectively and in a timely manner, and I know for a fact I could do that.  

Okay, I'm embarrassed now, for sharing my secret agenda, LOL!

By the way, my surgeon is very skilled, very experienced, and from everything I've been able to find, has an excellent reputation.  He's very involved with ASMBS and the OAC, and seems to be totally dedicated to not only providing quality surgical care, but also to the long-term success of his patients.   

gardeninggal
on 8/21/12 1:41 pm - Midland, Canada
 BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR DATE!!  So very happy for you that you have your date and now your life can move on.  I am on day 7 of Opti and hanging in.  Your doctor sounds like he is a wonderful person and I would just let that wash over you and trust that you are in the right hands.  His staff on the other hand are completely incompetent.  I have a friend who used to work at a very busy dental office with three dentist.  She was the office manager and she would often say that just because they are doctors does not mean they know who to treat people.  Maybe your doc has a great skill but that might not relate down to his 'regular' people skills.  On the bright side you are your own advocate and thank good ness you are.  Think about positive scenarios and all will be next year's story.  Good news :)

Nancy

longhornrose
on 8/21/12 4:49 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

Hey Nancy!  Our dates are only 9 days apart!  Lead the way, my friend, LOL! 

Most Active
Recent Topics