Why do some foods fill me up so much more than others?

slrm2m2
on 8/19/12 6:02 pm - Canada
 In the world of post-op eating, all foods are not created equal.  I'm still amazed that I can eat so much less of some foods than others.   A half a cup of dense protein and I'm done for the meal, where as other things I can eat up to a cup at a meal and still feel only the beginning of fullness.

How does this work?  Its not like dense protein actually takes up more space in the pouch...a half a cup of food is a half a cup of food...right?  I know that slider foods just slide on by, but I'm not noticing this difference with only slider foods.  

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

poet_kelly
on 8/19/12 6:11 pm - OH
When the food gets into your pouch, it's all chewed up.  So imagine chewing up 1/2 cup of meat and then chewing up 1/2 cup of salad.  Which one would take up more room, all chewed up?  The meat, right?  So it does take up more room in your pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/19/12 6:35 pm - OH
As Kelly said, dense proteins DO take up more space than other types of foods, and he water content  of foods can cause even foods that are not technically "sliders" to empty from the pouch more quickly.

Example:  Even at 5 years out, if I eat nothing other than the beef, 4 ounces of beef is enough to make me quite full.  I can, however, easily eat 2 cups of fruit salad by itself (even more if it has a lot of watermelon in it!).  Green beans, some other soft vegetables, and many fruits have a high water content and chew down into almost nothing.  If I eat a small amount of those items with beef, I can still eat the 4 ounces of beef along with the side items because the water content of the side items helps the beef slide through more easily than it would by itself.  Make sense?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Zeigled
on 8/19/12 7:10 pm - Parkton, MD
I agree with Lora and Kelly - I can eat an entire cucumber - because it is very watery. Steak, only about 3 oz.
HW 357 SW 341   

slrm2m2
on 8/20/12 8:20 am - Canada
 Makes sense..thanks ladies!  And I have noticed that the dense protein is less filling when I eat it with high water content foods...but I never really thought about why.  So interesting to know!
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 248 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views