Nesco cooker--older style "roaster" crockpot

Dave Chambers
on 8/15/12 8:51 am - Mira Loma, CA
I purchased a Nesco cooker a few months ago.  I wanted a slow cooker  that did NOT heat from the bottom for my "home brewed medicine" to help me sleep.  The Nesco cookers (they call them roasters) have a heating element clear around the perimiter of the cooking vessel. These cookers are more expensive than the inexpensive crockpot, but the cooking liner "vessel" is either porcelain or non stick coating.  Ebay and Amazon have them or nesco.com has them too, with specials oftered often.  Several sizes available, usually in at least 3 or more colors.  I think I paid around $35 for a 6 quart in red, and has a glass lid. One item I like about these are adjustable temperature controls, starting at 225/250 and going to over 400 degrees.  This cooker works great--I wanted something I could keep at 300 degrees for 24 hours, not possible with the conventional crock pot.  I just placed the glass jar into the Nesco cooker with water, and set to 300 degrees. I could put a thermometer into the glass jar to check the temp of the contents, and adjust the temp slightly. 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Alvina300
on 8/15/12 9:14 am - Canada
What is your recipe for home brewed med to help sleep. 

Thanks for the info on the cooker
Alvina
Dave Chambers
on 8/15/12 11:30 am - Mira Loma, CA
It's the process in making "cannabutter", and ingredient.  It's legal to have get a medical marijuana card in Calif. for medical reasons, as assessed by a doctor. Cannabutter is basically brewing medical marijuana in a butter and water solution at 300 degrees for a period of 24 hours.  You place your deisred quantity of the mj with butter in a jar, with water.  An Indica or Indica hybrid typically hybrid of mj works best for sleep.   I prefer 3/4 oz mj to a pound of butter, so you could also brew 3/8 oz in a half pound of butter.  The solution must be brewed for 24 hours to extract the  mj crystals off of the buds.  These crystals are soluble in either butter or alcohol.  Once the solution has brewed for 24 hours, it's set in the fridge overnight. Next day you'll see the now green butter on top, with cloudy water underneath. Remove solid, and place in freezer in sealed bag until you need to use it. I use 1/2 stick of this butter (2 oz) in the Paula Deen hard candy recipe.  Place ingredients, include now green butter, into pan.  Heat to 305 degrees, checking with a candy thermometer.  Remove from heat, quickly mix in one small box of SF jellow.  Pour the hot mixture into a mold fast, as it starts getting hard in 2-3 minutes.  I used those small 1/2 inch square ice cube molds made of silicone.  Cost about $10 on Ebay for 2 of them. This recipe makes two trays of these medicated candy lozenges.  I spray a cooking spray on a spatula, and scrape mixutre over mold to fill in cube voids.  It sets up in about 30 minutes.  I then use a pastry brush to brush off any excess butter that isn't abosrbed in the recipe. Usually I have about 20 % of the 2 oz left. I brush the remnant butter it into a custard bowl, let it set up for a few hours, remove it and save it for the next batch.  Remove cubes, and you may have to break some of the pieces apart. I put the pieces in a sealable Lock and Lock bowl, adding a little bit of powdered sugar.  This abosrbs any remnant butter so it doesn't stick to ther pieces.  I use one of these to lay down for about an hour with headache meds. I keep this bowl in a bedside safe for safekeeping.  To sleep at night, I use 2 of these pieces with my script sleep meds. The sleep meds fail to work well by themselves, but work well with the lozenges.  I let them dissolve under my tongue. Don't eat anything just before taking them, as it diminshes their effect.  I'm not a "pot head" by any means, but resorted to this to be able to rest this past year after years of insomnia post op.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.

mpjones
on 8/15/12 1:58 pm
Can't comment on your sleep remedy but I have had my Nesco (well, actually I have 3 of them) for many years --my oldest one is probably 20-22 years old and still works like a charm. EXCELLENT product.
Dave Chambers
on 8/15/12 5:53 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Yes., it is a very good product. That was the purpose of my post.  Someone asked, so I posted about the sleep lozenge.  But it's a good cooker, but could also liklely be use for canning some goods too. They offer many sizes of these cookers from around 4 quarts up to around 30. DAVE

Most Active
Recent Topics