What types of skin removal does medicare and medicaid authorize?

marty69
on 8/6/12 10:14 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
I have had my surgury and am now thinking ahead to dealing w/all of this skin. I am disabled and recieved madicare and medicaid in missouri. Does any one know what types of procedures are covered under these coverages. Or perhaps where I can find this infomation on line?.   Thanks Again for all the help and WONDERFUL advice I ALWAYS recieve on this site.

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

Ladytazz
on 8/6/12 2:10 pm
I'm on Medicare, too, and they paid to have my panni (the apron of skin that hangs over your pubic area) removed.  I was told they would do it if it was "medically necessary".  They may also pay for a breast reduction if you are having any issues.  I would assume that they pay for any skin removal as long as it is deemed medically necessary.  I wasn't happy because I couldn't figure out a way to convince Medicare that having perky breasts was medically necessary.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

terilynn112
on 8/6/12 11:18 pm - maryland, NY
my panni is being paid for by ny medicare/medicaid.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

bvom
on 8/6/12 11:49 pm, edited 8/6/12 11:49 pm - CT
If your panni overhangs your pubic area and you have documentation of rashes, they will pay for removal.  Remember, a panniculectomy is NOT a tummy tuck - it is not pretty at all - it just gets rid of excess. 

In some (rare, as I understand it) cases, they will also pay for breast reduction. 

Also remember - technically speaking, Medicare does not pre-approve anything.  Your doc will determine if they think they will - then they perform the surgery and submit it for approval/payment.

Source?  Had a panniculectomy while on Medicare/Medicaid (in Massachusetts) in 11/09.

Highest: 601 lbs / Surgery: 573 lbs / Lowest: 242 / Regained 57 lbs (Currently -51!)
              Panniculectomy 11/09  *  Brachioplasty & Inner Thigh Lift 12/10

marty69
on 8/7/12 7:18 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
  Thank You all so much . I have a HUGE  pannie and my Dr has been talking about getting it off  even before I had my wls done. I have had skin issues sense I was in my 20's , under my breasts and my pannie. So it is a relief to know that coverage is possible.
  While I imagine most of us would love to have a tummy tuck (my self esp) just having this removed would make thing soooo much better.

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 316 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??