Back from Spain! Europe travel tips...

aesposito
on 7/22/12 9:11 am
Just back from a week in Spain and first of all.... I am down nearly another 10 pounds in a week!  Amazing what happens when you walk, hike and bike across the Spanish countryside....

Second, some tips for anyone traveling in Spain (or Europe) post-RNY.

a. Diet Coke is called "Coca Light" (yes, I know pop is bad, don't yell at me).

b. Food was no problem at all.  First of all portions are a lot smaller in Europe than America.  Second, the region we were in (Catalunya) was very seafood heavy.  I didn't get a single thing stuck in Pouchy all week and I ate seafood literally every night.

c. We only did Tapas one night, but they are also wonderful for portion control.

d. Water is everywhere to drink. 

e. The Barcelona area does a foie that is to-die-for... and very high in protein.

f. Watch out for wine.  Got very, very tipsy twice on just a glass or two.  I had been experimenting at home without a problem, but I think the issue here is it was red, not white (again, I know wine is bad, don't yell at me, just offering advice).

g. Was worried about dehydration (a big problem for me since RNY) but although it was very hot, it was not very humid and I really didn't have a problem with that either.  We took a 4 hour hike up and down a mountain one day 1500 ft elevation without issue, and a 17 mile day long bike ride through medieval villages, also no prob.

All in all, no problems at all!  I was pleasantly shocked.  Not to mention I think my boyfriend and I are finally in love now... Spain has that effect on people I guess LOL.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

aesposito
on 7/22/12 9:40 am
Oh, and also no prob getting my various vitamins and protein bars through airport security and customs.... although I did have one guy ask me to open my Centrum chewables LOL. 

I had one supplementary protein bar a day (Cliff Builders, my current fav), although I really didn't need too considering what we ate every day.  Habit mostly I guess.

And speaking of airports and airplanes and such, so weird when I realized that I fit into everything... seats, spaces, etc without even blinking an eye.  An NSV of sorts I guess.

Audrey

artroxy blue
on 7/22/12 9:53 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for the tips! 

We're planning to take my MIL home to Sicily next year for a few weeks, so it's good to know. I know I'll be avoiding pasta and bread when I'm there, but they're known for their seafood. That will be my saving grace. I don't really drink now as it is, and my husband's family make their own homebrew wine. I think my downfall may be espresso, but if I can find a place that has decaf, I'll be good. 
aesposito
on 7/22/12 9:57 am
I took a few bites of my boyfriend's bread at a few meals (they offer a lovely traditional tomato bread with every meal).  And I had a mouthful or two of rice with my paella one night.  But for the most part, carbs were easily avoided... these were calculated choices I made based on our increased physical activity those days.

And he drank espresso a lot but I am sorry to say that no one offered decaf, at least that I saw... maybe better luck in Sicily?  I would love to go to Sicily or Italy next....

Audrey

SweetLilyAnn
on 7/22/12 9:53 am - TX
This is a wonderful post, thank you so much. I am planning an overseas trip at the beginning of next year and am comforted by your post. Glad that you had a easy RNY experience, an overall wonderful time and that you are in love....THE TRIFECTA!!!!!

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

mermaidoz
on 7/22/12 1:26 pm - Canada
Glad the tips we gave you when you originally posted before your trip helped to "set the stage" so to speak...We all told you there would be no problem eating for an RnY pouch in Spain or Europe. and gave you tips on what to bring with you ...Glad it was all good and you had a great time!  No doubt your post will reassure others planning to travel!

aesposito
on 7/22/12 11:13 pm
Yes the tips were wonderful!  Thank you all! 

Audrey

Lady Lithia
on 7/22/12 1:49 pm
Audrey, thank you so much for your "report" 

I would love to visit Spain.... that's now on my list of places to visit.

My biggest worry is the dehydration. I worry about how I can carry enough liquid for long adventures. There's one hiking expedition in New Zealand that is supposed to be about 11 hours.... I don't worry about 11 hours of hiking, I worrry about 11 hours worth of beverages necessary to hike that much.

I remember I did a lot of flying pre-op and I once was asked to empty my carry-on bag. I was somewhat surprised when the man pulled out plastic baggies full of protein powder, only to get to what bothered him, a vial of lotion I'd forgotten to put in a clear plastic baggie. Not even a blink at the powder.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

aesposito
on 7/22/12 11:15 pm
Yeah it's funny, but I would say that dehydration has been my biggest post-op problem.  I always know when I haven't drunk enough... I get dizzy, orthostatic hypotension, weak.

Definitely put Spain on your list!  And although it's hot, it's not humid, and there are public fountains EVERYWHERE (except on mountaintops with deserted castles LOL).

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views