Anxiety Attacks? Please Everyone look and tell me if this ever happened to you.. (maybe OT_

DannyBoyDVG
on 7/19/12 2:32 pm - AR
I have these episodes almost every time i eat anything where it feels almost like an alergic reaction. Feels like im having a hard time breathing, toung starts to tingle rapid heart beat. Well i got LOTS of testing done at an alergist and didnt test + on ANY food. Talked to my doc and he thinks maybe anxiety attacks so he gave me xanax and im freaked out about taking it even though ive been told it will help. Has anyone ever had these issues before?

bliss1203
on 7/19/12 2:36 pm - souderton, PA
 Yes!  Xanax is amazing, I used to take .5 PRN for anxiety and you're gonna feel so much better!  Wish I had some right now but don't feel like paying 50 to see a shrink. Lol
DannyBoyDVG
on 7/19/12 2:39 pm - AR
did you have any symptoms like what i said or was yours different?

bliss1203
on 7/19/12 2:44 pm - souderton, PA
 I felt like I couldn't breath, rapid heart rate, tight chest, tingly on my arm, felt like I was going to die, panic attacks are the worst.  I also worried a lot, just non stop, about the littlest things. Yes I felt like I was chocking, Xanax will make a world of a difference.  Just relax pop one in and it may even help you sleep
DannyBoyDVG
on 7/19/12 2:47 pm - AR
i may just have to try it but i have that worring about everything bad to the point where i took a benedryl to try to help once and my body was like "oh god why is he taking meds whats wrong" then it instantly went into a FULL BLOWN panic attack and im afraid thats what will happen with this as well >.

ginabob
on 7/19/12 3:55 pm
RNY on 06/12/12
The pill should help put a stop to the progression of the panic attack.
I had a horrible one in the pre-op room.
Actually didn't stop until they started the happy juice.
Praying you get relief!

Btrue2u
on 7/19/12 5:37 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Take the pill it will help and continue to take them as prescribed.  Panic attacks need to be controlled. The meds will help and continued use will make them less and less frequent. You will be fine and remember to breathe   

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

qnmimi
on 7/19/12 6:00 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Sounds like you might have an oversensitive esophagus, or overactive vagus nerve. Could be anxiety over some undiagnosed food issues. Does this only happen when you eat? Journal your body's responses to help you understand your possible triggers. If this is not anxiety...which your doctor seemed pretty eager to call it, perhaps a GI doctor visit could help figure this out. Good luck to you!

PamLane
on 7/19/12 9:36 pm - Houston, TX
I have had them and am currently taking a combination of lexapro and wellbutrin to stave them off. I have also learned that I can "talk myself down" when they come on as well as when they are going on by telling myself that I know what it is and that I won't die from it. Alcohol, caffiene, and nicotine aggravate them so I was told to do none of the above while they were coming on or were in process. Please be careful of the xanax - it's highly addicting and just one leads to more to get the same initial feeling as the first one did. Before you know it you are a slave to them. Please try talking to your doctor again and see what else they can recommend. Take care.
swoozieq67
on 7/19/12 10:13 pm - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
I am 3 months post-op and I can relate to what you are going through. Whenever I try to eat anything solid like meat or veggies it feels as though the top of my throat clamps shut! I honestly feel like my throat is closing up.

I do have xanax for anxiety but I am also very leary about having to take a xanax to eat! So, I usually just eat yogurt and soup.

I know that it must all be in my "head" and that I need therapy to learn how to eat again. I am just so terrified that my WLS will fail and I am scared to eat anything!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views