I need ya'lls opinion

pittgal08
on 7/13/12 7:35 am
K so, I was hoping you all would give me an opinion about something. The only obstacle I really have right now is to lose 50 lbs. I would love to do Atkins because I've lost the most on that, however, it worries me because I'm positive that with my weight I need to shrink my liver, and I don't think that would be the best diet for that. So, I was thinking to do one protein shake a day, and two sensible meals 500 cals or less. Do you think that's a good idea? My nutritionist didn't give me a specific diet she just said to eat sensibly, and cut out sodium cause my sodium is out of control.
On one of my previous weight loss surgery journey's a different nutritionist gave me a diet of 800-1000 cals a day of the following:
Breakfast: 2 eggs
Lunch and Dinner: 4-6 oz lean meat, small salad w/ FF Italian, and 2 cups cooked veggies
I was thinking of doing that instead. I just don't know what would be best for pre-op and as quickly as possible.
I do worry that if I do too many protein shakes before my 2 week required liquid diet, which the dr did say I would have to do, that I will get tired of them too early. So would the second diet be better? I sure appreciate any advice that you all could give me. Thank you so so much!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/13/12 7:38 am - Baltimore, MD
 Why wouldn't Atkins work on a liver shrinking diet?

The very fastest way to get yourself to lose weight, I'd think, is to put your body into ketosis. So that'd be almost exclusively protein: no fruit, no veggies, just protein and water. 

But I am no expert. I just know that when celebs need to drop big weight fast, that's what they do. That and cleanses, colonics and the like ;)

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

garnetgal
on 7/13/12 7:44 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
Atkin's does help with reducing your liver as it is mostly protein with limited carbs in the way of vegetables. I was doing Atkin's prior to my liquid diet and according to my surgeon my liver was in excellent shape.

Casey A.
on 7/13/12 7:45 am
RNY on 09/27/17
I think Atkins would work. The purpose of the 2 week liquid diet before surgery is to shrink your liver, so don't worry about that right now. I'm no expert but that's what I would do. Best of luck... 

HW: 357.2 SW: 333 5'2" Age:45

pre-op: 24.2 M1: 24.8 M2: 15

kissiejoe
on 7/13/12 7:56 am - Mount Washington, KY
My doctor has put me on a strict diet before my surgery.  I have lost 12 pounds in a week so far.  Cut out sodas and sugary drinks all together.  Nothing bu****er, but you can add the crystal light mixes to flavor it up a little.  I have to drink 3 protein shakes a day (my doctor says to do the shakes in either water or almond milk only), drink 64oz of water a day, and then at night I can eat a small salad with 1 tablespoon of dressing and 1 cup of chicken broth- I do this for the first week.  Then this upcoming week I still have to drink 3 shakes and 64 ozs of water, but I can have 6 ozs of lean meat with any type of green veggie I want (except of peas and butter beans).  It isn't easy, I seriously thought I could eat a horse this past week around Wednesday.  But I know that it is going to be worth it in the end.

poet_kelly
on 7/13/12 8:43 am - OH
Personally, I would see a registered dietician and ask her to provide more guidance than just "eat sensibly."  A registered dietician would have a degree in nutrition and would know how to teach you the best way to eat to lose the 50 pounds.  If you were good at figuring that out for yourself, you probably would not be in need of WLS.  It's her job to assist you in planning your diet.

If you like protein shakes, I think one shake a day and two meals would be fine.  If you think you'll get tired of the shakes, then have a sensible breakfast.  I would not eat two eggs every day, though.  That sounds like too much cholesterol.

I will also mention that there are so many different shake recipes that I could have a shake every day - well, I do almost every day! - for a very long time and not get tired of them.  And I only use a few brands of protein powder.  I just add various other ingredients to jazz them up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jennifer M.
on 7/13/12 8:58 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 My 2 week pre-op diet to shrink my liver WAS Atkins.  I lost 10 pounds.

wendydettmer
on 7/13/12 9:05 am - Rochester, NY
i would focus on eating balanced meals now to be honest. to focus on what you would need to do post op (although much smaller portions for a long while).

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Price S.
on 7/13/12 9:13 am - Mills River, NC
My pre-op 4 week diet was 5 optifast shakes and one small food meal a day.  It was boring but not bad other than that.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Kaoz789
on 7/13/12 9:15 am
So you want to go to a 1000 cal + shake diet?
Yikes.

Here's an idea. If you are doing 3000 cal now, try cutting 500 from that and just try to make smarter choices.  Leaner meats, more veggies and fruits and complicated carbohydrates.  If you aren't excersizing now, maybe add in a 30 min walk around the neighborhood a few times a week. Small changes in incremets are easier than huge drastic ones.

Best of luck to you and also, if your NUT didnt give you anything to go on to help with this, I'd consult your personal physician for assistance. That way if there is a medical condition that needs to be monitored or a level of excersize that isnt possible yet, you have the advice of someone that *knows* your personal situation.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views