Question about weightloss....

DannyBoyDVG
on 7/4/12 6:49 am - AR
I have lost almost 140lbs in 5 months im only 20lbs from my goal but the weight seems to be pooring off and im afraid once I hit my goal its just going to keep going. How do i prevent this from happening?

Kim H.
on 7/4/12 7:09 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I think it can be scary in some ways, especially for men, to lose weight very quickly since size is thought of as "manly" in a way. So, take a deep breath and realize that it won't go on forever. First, I would talk to your doctor about where she wants your weight to be and see if you're on the same page. Next, talk to your dietitian and ask for some advice about how to change your diet. Now, I think that's the best advice but if you need to slow your loss at some point in the future it shouldn't be too hard. You can look at your diet and see what you're eating and add extra calories. For me, on days when I workout like a maniac I need to boost my cals to stay at a minimum net of 1000. So, I'll make make a vanilla or chocolate protein shake with milk (2 cups) and add 1-2 scoops powder (100 cal/scoop) and 2 tbs peanut butter. When I'm really hungry I do 4 tbs peanut butter and whole milk. That's 500 cals for a "lite" shake and 900 if I make it with whole milk and 4 tbs of peanut butter. If you do that twice a day you will slow your loss pretty quickly I would imagine. I find drinking shakes like this is the easiest way to get large volumes of cals without much difficulty since it's hard to eat that many cals of healthy foods in one sitting. Also, you may want to look at your carbs and if they're low boost them up with healthy ones like sweet potato, regular potato, dried fruits, larabars (my favorite), and add some extra health oils, like olive or coconut, to your cooking. If you're only having 3 meals and 2 shakes you may want to make it 4-5 meals and make the shakes like I said above. Play around with it and see if it helps. Whatever you do, make sure you talk to your health care team so they can make sure you stay healthy and keep a close eye on your progress so that you don't lose too much or have an serious issues with malnutrition. Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
DannyBoyDVG
on 7/4/12 7:22 am - AR
On July 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, Kim H. wrote:
I think it can be scary in some ways, especially for men, to lose weight very quickly since size is thought of as "manly" in a way. So, take a deep breath and realize that it won't go on forever. First, I would talk to your doctor about where she wants your weight to be and see if you're on the same page. Next, talk to your dietitian and ask for some advice about how to change your diet. Now, I think that's the best advice but if you need to slow your loss at some point in the future it shouldn't be too hard. You can look at your diet and see what you're eating and add extra calories. For me, on days when I workout like a maniac I need to boost my cals to stay at a minimum net of 1000. So, I'll make make a vanilla or chocolate protein shake with milk (2 cups) and add 1-2 scoops powder (100 cal/scoop) and 2 tbs peanut butter. When I'm really hungry I do 4 tbs peanut butter and whole milk. That's 500 cals for a "lite" shake and 900 if I make it with whole milk and 4 tbs of peanut butter. If you do that twice a day you will slow your loss pretty quickly I would imagine. I find drinking shakes like this is the easiest way to get large volumes of cals without much difficulty since it's hard to eat that many cals of healthy foods in one sitting. Also, you may want to look at your carbs and if they're low boost them up with healthy ones like sweet potato, regular potato, dried fruits, larabars (my favorite), and add some extra health oils, like olive or coconut, to your cooking. If you're only having 3 meals and 2 shakes you may want to make it 4-5 meals and make the shakes like I said above. Play around with it and see if it helps. Whatever you do, make sure you talk to your health care team so they can make sure you stay healthy and keep a close eye on your progress so that you don't lose too much or have an serious issues with malnutrition. Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps. Good luck and keep us posted.
 thank you

soozieq
on 7/4/12 8:38 am
I think you got some great advice.  You'll probably be told to boost your caloric intake (with healthy foods) and/or eat more.  Do you work out at all?  Working out - strength training might help slow your weight loss, as well.

Congratulations on your success!!!  I think it's amazing how fast the men lose!!
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Lady Lithia
on 7/4/12 8:54 am
Men tend to lose faster (I'm making an assumption that you're a male?)

MOST people even out naturally.

I wouldn't worry about the weight and I wouldn't change much to stop the weight loss.

As you get further out, you eat more, and your body needs fewer calories to support your mass. So as your calories go up from 500 to 600 directly postop, up to 1000 (where I was at around 6 months to a year)

eventually the amount you consume and burn equalize. If you still have weight to lose you have to either up your exercise or drop your calories. If you equalize below your desired weight, you up your calories until you get the desired weight.

Most folks who actively try to stop the weight loss for fear they wouldn't stop without any real effort.... ended up higher than those who allowed the mechanism to do it for them. Most people end up regaining a bit as part of the end of losing weight, you get below where you want to be, and regain a bit as the calorie equation stabilizes.

Of course if you're getting WAY below weight, you have to actively stop it and there are ways. But until you're at risk of a BMI below 20, for the most part you should just focus on following teh plan and letting your body do its magic.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 301 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??