Total Newbie Q - Soy Milk, Silk Vanilla

Katrina B.
on 7/4/12 7:38 am - Jacksonville, NC
RNY on 06/28/12
Okay I am just learning here and read something somewhere (I thought) that Silk Vanilla Soy Milk was okay to use to make protein shakes with. 

But reading the label it says 8 grams of sugar and that per label is from All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice from what I see. 

Okay so is this safe to use in replacement of milk or no?  8 grams of sugar seems high to me and I am sooooo afraid of getting the dumps that I figured it would be better safe than sorry to ask some of the vets. 

Would love some opinions so I don't make a wrong choice here....

And sorry that I don't know how to do the little pics of the label but it is Silk all natural Soy - Vanilla
HW: 456 pds    SW: 405 pds    CW: 398 pds    GW: 195 pds  

poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 7:46 am - OH
I would not drink that. 

Cow's milk has sugar in the form of lactose.  It naturally occurs in milk. 

But evaporated cane juice is added sugar.  It's the juice from sugar cane, or in other words, sugar juice.  I would use plain soy milk, or if you want flavored, there is a brand called Soy Slender that has a cappuccino flavored soy milk that I've used sometimes.  I forget how much sugar is in it but it's not much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 7/4/12 7:56 am - Midlothian, TX
 Perhaps in small quantities you might do fine.  I use the unsweetened plain Silk.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Bettisima
on 7/4/12 8:00 am
There is also a silk vanilla light that I used because I like the added vanilla flavor.
wendydettmer
on 7/4/12 8:01 am - Rochester, NY
i use unsweetened vanilla almond milk from Silk. I've never had an issue with it

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Lady Lithia
on 7/4/12 8:20 am

I prefer Almond Breeze to the Silk brand, it tastes better to me.

I loooooooooove almond milk. Dunno why people have to squeeze white stuff outta animals when almond milk is available.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

wendydettmer
on 7/4/12 8:38 am - Rochester, NY
 i love it too!  I wi**** was a better source of protein.  but it mixes up very yummy with my green protein shakes.

I've had the almond breeze in the shelf stable boxes but never the refrigerated kind, I should try it.  I didn't like the shelf stable kind as much, although i always keep a box on hand just inc ase

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Katrina B.
on 7/4/12 8:03 am - Jacksonville, NC
RNY on 06/28/12
 My sister grabbed the wrong one at the store by mistake and wasn't until I was drinking my shake that I noticed a bit of change.  I am so used to having many colors of milk cartons in the fridge for my family that it didn't dawn on me it was a different color.  I was just so distracted by the holiday happenings that I saw SILK and just grabbed.  Now I am wondering if I will be in pain later.... 
HW: 456 pds    SW: 405 pds    CW: 398 pds    GW: 195 pds  

Lady Lithia
on 7/4/12 8:19 am
it's good you are reading the label! 

I don't use any sort of milk like product for my protein shakes, so that's not one of my issues. I use water for mine. But if the soy milk is anything like the almond milk I drink, they probably have unsweetened as well as sweetened. See if they have some.

I love the 101 different names they have for sugar. Some companies have split their sugar and sugar-like contents into 12 parts, so they can look like you're not drinking pure undiluted sugarwater, but in fact, the number one ingredient is simple carbs. Evaporated cane juice is what sugar is.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

artroxy blue
on 7/4/12 9:19 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Definitely go with the unsweetened version, if possible. I'm trying out Eden Soy milk Extra (Original--Fortified with Calcium and Vitamins). I just looked at the label again, and it has 13g of carbs (8 of which are in sugars), and 11g of protein. I'm guessing the sugars are coming from the soybeans and the naturally malted organic wheat and barley extracts. No mention of sweeteners on here. 

If I like this, then I will look into the plain unsweetened as well. Hope that helps! ;)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views