How do you know if something has NSAIDS?

NCwarriorchick
on 7/1/12 11:12 pm
I got my first real headache yesterday and continued into this morning. I dont have any Tylenol at work. But the medicine cabinet has a generic non-aspirin, that says you can compare to Tylenol pain reliever. How do I know if contains NSAIDS?

poet_kelly
on 7/1/12 11:18 pm - OH
You read the ingredients.  If it says to compare to Tylenol, that probably  means it has acetominophen, which is not an NSAID.  If it has aspirin or ibuprofen, that's an NSAID.  You can always call the manufacturer or ask your pharmacist, as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 7/2/12 1:40 am, edited 7/2/12 1:40 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
Kelly, what happens if we take something with NSAIDs in it? Can it make us sick or something? i'm just curious.
poet_kelly
on 7/2/12 2:24 am - OH

NSAIDS put you at risk for ulcers. They do that to everyone, not just RNY folks.  But ulcers are particularly dangerous to us.  If you get an ulcer in your pouch, even a small one, since your pouch is a lot smaller than a normal stomach, it will cover a much greater percentage of your pouch.  If you get an ulcer in your old stomach, docs can’t even do an endoscopy to see it.  They’d have to do surgery.  Also taking a medication designed to coat the stomach wouldn’t help an ulcer in the old stomach because nothing you take by mouth goes in there.

We really, really don’t want an ulcer.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers because they cause the lining of the stomach (the old stomach and the pouch) to thin out.  This does NOT happen when the medication enters the pouch or touches the pouch.  It happens when the medicine enters your blood stream.  That’s why you can get ulcers in your old stomach.  NSAIDS taken by mouth don’t touch the old stomach but can still cause ulcers there.

Any way you take an NSAID – pill, liquid, shot, IV, patch, gel – it gets into your blood stream.  If it does not get into your blood stream, it will not give you any pain relief or relieve inflammation.  Many docs don’t seem to understand this, though I don’t know why since they have to take pharmacology in medical school. 

Some surgeons say it’s OK to take NSAIDS on a very limited basis if you really need them as long as you also take Nexium or something like that to help protect your stomach.  Others say it’s never worth the risk.  A few say it’s OK to take them whenever you want, but I think they are nuts.  But what I really think is that we need to weigh the benefits of taking them against the risks.  Is the pain of your bad back or menstrual cramps or whatever worse than the pain of an ulcer would be?  If so, take the NSAID.  But take it with something to protect your tummy.

Now, how likely it is that taking NSAIDS, especially rarely, will cause an ulcer, no one can say.  I know people that took just one dose and got an ulcer.  I know people that took them many times and had no problem.  So it’s just a matter of whether or not you wanna chance it.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WifeMama
on 7/2/12 4:21 am
RNY on 06/21/12
 Kelly, 
Is there anything that we can do to help prevent ulcers?  I proactive measure such as antacids, etc.?
poet_kelly
on 7/2/12 4:25 am - OH
Yeah, there are acid-reducing meds like Prilosec, Nexium, etc.  Not everyone needs those, though, certainly not on a regular basis.  If you need to take NSAIDS for something, I would certainly talk to your doc about using a med like that while you're taking NSAIDS.  And you can talk to your doc about whether or not you need an acid-reducer at any other time.

NCwarriorchick
on 7/1/12 11:42 pm
Thanks Kelly!

PMarie
on 7/2/12 12:11 am - Bloomington, MN
 Here is a list of NSAID drugs

Salicylates

[edit]Propionic acid derivatives

[edit]Acetic acid derivatives

[edit]Enolic acid (Oxicam) derivatives

[edit]Fenamic acid derivatives (Fenamates )

[edit]Selective COX-2 inhibitors (Coxibs)

[edit]Sulphonanilides

• Nimesulide (systemic preparations are banned by several countries for the potential risk of hepatotoxicity)

[edit]Others

• Licofelone acts by inhibiting LOX (lipooxygenase) & COX and hence known as 5-LOX/COX inhibitor

NCwarriorchick
on 7/2/12 12:34 am
Thanks PMarie, most ingredient list dont say NSAIDS!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics