Need help in building a Exercise Regimen

NoMoXcuses
on 6/27/12 4:14 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 02/01/12
 FELLOW RNY (PRE & POST-OP),

I AM 4 MONTHS POST OP AND IS TRYING TO BUILD A WORKOUT REGIMEN. I AM SEEKING HELPFUL INFORMATION TO DO BUT MY FITNESS LEVEL (BEGINNERS)..IF YOU COULD THINK OF ANY ACTIVITY THAT WOULD NOT BE STRENOUS OR MORE SO OVER DOING (LIMITED DUE TO UN-RELATED HEALTH CONCERNS) WOULD HELP ALOT..WILL KNOW ON THE 6TH OF JULY IF I CAN BEGAN REGULAR ACTIVITIES...#CLUELESS
artroxy blue
on 6/27/12 4:26 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Walking is always a good start. If it's too hot, rainy, etc., try walking in the mall. You can walk at your own pace--no need to run laps just yet. 

If that doesn't work for you, check on your cable's on-demand menu. They usually have beginner videos, like Leslie Sansone's walking videos, beginner yoga, etc. 

Join a gym/YMCA and set up time with a personal trainer. They can tailor a workout plan for you.

You'll need to figure out what you like to do, so you'll be interested and want to continue. Just my two cents. 
NoMoXcuses
on 6/27/12 4:42 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 02/01/12
 THK U DOLL, I LIKE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC, DANCE, AND WALK SO I JUST MIGHT BE A WALIKING (EVENING/EARLY MORNING) REGGIE RIGHT NOW..THAT WAS ONE OF MY SUGESSTIONS AS WELL AND THK U AGAIN 

artroxy blue
on 6/27/12 5:01 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 You're welcome! You might want to check out Zumba, too. It's on my list, but when I get some weight off. I've tweaked my knees so I'm going to be cautious and wait. 
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/27/12 4:44 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I have not found any beginner fitness programs on cable on-demand, but you can walk at your own pace. You can dance at your own speed, alone or with somebody. (My faves: '70s soul and disco, the Beach Boys)  If there's a pool available, like the YM/YWCA, you can swim or do water exercise classes. If you're not able to exercise that much yet, there are chair exercise DVDs you can find on the Web, or just sit in a straight-backed chair and arm-dance. Sit in a chair and lift one leg at a time: great for the quads.

I'm not an expert and I hate exercising, except for swimming, which I love, and dancing, which I can't do. But I do know 3 or 4 times a week for 20 minutes is an excellent start. See what you can do to begin with, then set a small goal and work toward that a little at a time.

I started with 3-block walks using a walker. Now I can walk 2/3 of a mile in 35 minutes without stopping using trekking poles. My goal is 1 mile in 45 minutes. My someday goal is to walk two miles in an hour without stopping and not feel wiped out afterward.

I hope you find something you enjoy!

artroxy blue
on 6/27/12 4:58 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 No Leslie Sansone? Boo...I used those when I was pregnant. They definitely got my heart rate up. 
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/27/12 5:26 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I think there's a Sansone but it's not beginner level. I've searched for beginner level programs and they're all for people who are already in shape. Maybe not professional athlete level, but def not beginners.
soozieq
on 6/27/12 4:45 am
Right now walking is my main source of exercise.  I walk anywhere from 2-3 miles a day.  Just make sure you're walking swiftly enough to get your heart rate up.  You don't want to "stroll".
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/27/12 4:48 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Strolling gets my heart rate up. When you're already fairly fit, you can do brisk. Before then, you stroll and hope you don't have a heart attack doing it.

Paul C.
on 6/27/12 5:07 am - Cumming, GA
 Walking
Swimming
Cycling
Spin
Running
Resistance training
Weights

Anything you enjoy that gets up moving and builds up a sweat.  As your fitness level increases you can start pushing for more but now find something you enjoy.

Don't make the mistake of looking at an Exercise routine as a way of burning calories because then you may develop a habit of pushing to burn more calories than you should.  Look at exercise as a gateway to a healthy and active lifestyle.  What you eat should support what you do and not What you do should negate what you eat.  Eating and exercise go hand in hand and will be a foundation in good health.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 290 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 296 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?