The anti-WLS media strikes again...

lesserman
on 6/23/12 11:05 am, edited 6/23/12 11:27 am - Chicago, IL
Am I the only one to read this article and conclude that the study is unadulterated BS and that if one is prone to a chemical dependency on alcohol, that tendency is present long before WLS and equally so afterward.

What is the problem that people and a certain segment of the medical community have with WLS?

FORNICATING ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/la-sci-sn-gastric-bypas s-alcoholism-20120618,0,1145294.story

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

wendydettmer
on 6/23/12 11:09 am - Rochester, NY
i don't know really anything about the study, but alcohol does affect post op patients differently then non post ops. i'm sure that plays a role.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

manda2108
on 6/23/12 11:21 am
 Cheers to this thread not going down the same path that the last one on this subject did.  

Jennifer M.
on 6/23/12 11:27 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 You know... I was wondering why this story seemed so negative.  It seems to me that cross addiction statistics are concerning, but education should help avoid it.

I'm not much of an all or nothing thinker, but I've witnessed the effect of alcohol on my post-op friends.  It was not much of a sacrifice to agree to give up alcohol for at least the first six months to a year.  I have absolutely no desire to drink right now.  And I hate being tipsy, so that's not going to change anytime soon.

poet_kelly
on 6/23/12 8:39 pm - OH
The study wasn't about cross-addiction.  It did not include information about how many subjects were addicted to something other than alcohol, such as food, before WLS and then developed an alcohol addiction.

7% of the subjects were addicted to alcohol before WLS and presumably continued to be addicted to it after WLS.

3.7% developed an addiction to alcohol after WLS.  But the study does not suggest that this was a cross addiction.  The study says that the reason for people developing addiction to alcohol after WLS is because alcohol affects us differently after surgery.

I know the idea of cross addiction is popular for some reason and probably some people do trade a food addiction for some other addiction.  But I have not seen any studies showing this to be common.  Have you?  I don't really think the statistic about cross addiction are concerning, 'cause I haven't really seen any.  I think it is concerning, though, that so many people believe cross addiction is a significant risk despite the lack of science to support that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jennifer M.
on 6/23/12 11:10 pm - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 No.  I generally agree with you.  I was (maybe more poorly than usual) speaking to the anti-WLS spin on the story, which surprised me.

THE_life10
on 6/23/12 12:07 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
they had a similar thread going about this a few days ago..it actually turned into a debate ..but i personally can see both sides.  Very interesting story.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/23/12 12:17 pm - OH
The most disturbing part of this study is that it completely ignores psychological factors, which play a key role in an kind of substance use or abuse.

Depression rates are significantly higher in those who have WLS (over 50%) than in the general population (10%).  Two studies that I have seen both found that the vast majority of people (somewhere around 75%...  It has been several years and I don't remember the exact statistic) suffering from depression before WLS either experienced a lifting of the depression (no longer meet clinical diagnostic criteria) or a significant improvement in the severity of the depression by the one-year mark.  more than half of tjoe people, though, returned to their pre-op depression levels by 24-36 months post-op. There are a variety of reasons (or combination of reasons) for the return of the depressoon, but the relevant point is that as depression returns, it is not surprising that people turn to alcohol, especially since their previous coping drug of choice (food) is largely unavailable to them and their altered anatomy provides a quick, intense rush from the alcohol.  They are more likely to turn to alcohol AFTER their WLS if they believed that losing weight would eliminate the depresson or solve particular problems, only to find at 2+ years out that it did not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 6/23/12 12:25 pm - West Chester, PA
 i drink less after surgery. not because of the calories or a fear of cross-addiction (not that i believe i've ever been addicted to food anyway) but because i've just lost interest in it. i think it's more of the growing out of "that age" for me though.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

poet_kelly
on 6/23/12 8:35 pm - OH
I just think people aren't reading the study carefully.

The study indicates that 7% of the subjects were addicted to alcohol before they had WLS.  So yes, that tendency was present before WLS.

3.7%, less than four in 100 people, developed an alcohol addiction after WLS.  I don't think that's a huge number, but it's a concern of course when even one person develops an addiction.  That "tendency" may have been there before WLS, I don't know.  

It is, however, true that alcohol affects people differently in a physiogical way after  WLS than it does before WLS - just like we absorb and process some vitamins differently and sugar differently, etc, we absorb and process alcohol differently.  I don't think that part is BS.

What I think is that people are reacting to the issue of alcohol addiction based on their emotions and not paying attention to what the study actually says.

What makes you think it is BS?  You don't believe that 3.7% had no addiction to alcohol before WLS and developed it after WLS?  You think the authors of the study made that number up for what?  Or you just object to the subject of the study?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views