Why do I feel constantly hungry the last 2 days?

bridie_53
on 6/20/12 10:30 am - IL
RNY on 05/16/12
 Hi y'all! I am 5 weeks post op and doing well. the hole in my belly from the infection is almost closed. I have not been hungry since surgery but eating like I am supposed to and following the plan. Today I got to start soft foods. Well for the last 2 ddays I am constantly starving. Even after I eat like within a 1/2 hour. I never feel full so I just kind of gauge it by what my esophagus feels like because I don't want to get over full. 
This feeling of hunger is the same hunger pangs I would have before my surgery when I was "actually" hungry.

Any ideas! (Oh, and I am getting 60-80 gms of protein per day and average around 600-700 cals.

poet_kelly
on 6/20/12 10:35 am - OH
How often do you eat?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 6/20/12 10:36 am - FL
Not sure how long it takes, I'm sure it is different for everyone, but hunger comes back I would think for a lot of people. The important thing is to try to go by measurements given by your surgeon (if they were) for as long as you can.
seattledeb
on 6/20/12 11:22 am
 You may be hungry because you ARE hungry. You are eating 700 calories a day. Your body is way pissed off at you. It's used to getting that much for a snack.
The good news is when you advance your diet you can eat dense protein. To me it's the miracle of this surgery. If I eat dense protein first I am not hungry.  It really works. When you read about people further out having regain its often that they aren't eating dense protein first to fill up.

I will share with you my most powerful realization/affirmation...
     hunger is not an emergency.
Take care,
Deb T>

bridie_53
on 6/20/12 11:24 am - IL
RNY on 05/16/12
 I eat every 2-3 hours. Here is what I ate today:

1/2 C oatmeal with equal and a little skim milk
The rest of the carton of skim milk
My drink on the way to work was crystal lite with 1/2 scoop unflavored unjury protein powder. It was about 20 oz loaded with ice and took me from 8am until noon to drink.

Lunch = 1 hardboiled egg and 1 piece of deli sliced turky
snack = no sugar added pudding 1 container and 1 piece of american cheese

Around 6 pm no sugar added fudgecicle
Dinner at 7:30 = 1.5 oz. filet mignon, and 3 smile bites of mushy cauliflower with a tiny amt of butter.
Here are my totals so far.

I have had 605 cals, 47 gms protein, 14 gms sugar, 58 gms carbs, and 20 gms fat. 
This feeling is still here. Maybe its not hunger, but what could it be?

poet_kelly
on 6/20/12 11:33 am - OH
What about adding another snack or two?  You've had 605 calories.  I don't think it's unreasonable that you'd be hungry.  And I don't think adding a little more would be a problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bridie_53
on 6/20/12 12:02 pm - IL
RNY on 05/16/12
 I just realized that the last 2 days are when I started adding the unflavored unjury protein in my morning drink. Do you think it could be related to how my stomach is feeling? Also, the hunger I feel around my mid epigastric area like where my old stomach would be, not in my chest area where my pouch is. I am perplexed.

MrsLitch
on 6/20/12 1:34 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I've had 2-3 days of the same feeling. It isn't every day but it is there. Today at lunch time I felt like I was starving and even when I finished I felt like I needed more but I've over eaten twice now and I do NOT want to feel that way again so I just stopped and waited til I could drink water.

I wondered the first time if it was head hunger until I heard my body rumbling like it did presurgery when I was hungry.

Hope it gets better for ya

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 13 views
Recent Topics