One Reason It's So Hard to Stay Off the Scale

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/21/12 1:14 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat...

I felt rather light this morning and let myself step on the scale. When it's good, it's very, very good.

Like imported cheese to a lab rat, a low number so strongly reinforces the behavior of weighing myself, I forget all about the punishment it sometimes deals out. 
One more pound and I'll be at my first goal: in the 250s!
I haven't been this light since the 1990s. 

I just can't wait to weigh myself again!  ;-)

amor1968
on 6/21/12 1:18 am - AR
Congratulations! Everyone told me not to weigh myself all the time but I am addicted. I am 2 lbs away from hitting 100 lbs lost so I find myself weighing everyday....lol... I can't help it! I get disappointed when the scale doesn't move though. I can't complain too much I am proud and overall happy about the weight loss! Keep up the good work!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/21/12 1:22 am - Baltimore, MD
 Well first let me say that it's completely normal and natural to be thrilled.

But I liken the scale to drinking alcohol for the first time or smoking pot (which I've never done but heard enough stories).

If the physical reaction is something you find pleasant, it's great! Wow! Why is everyone downing this? I can't wait to do it AGAIN! But then something sort of changes along the way. And after a while it isn't so great, you sort of understand why people down it and yet you feel compelled to keep doing it, either out of addiction or simply a bad habit.

I personally don't advocate for folks to not weigh. My message has been pretty consistently to NOT LET THE SCALE BE THE SOLE NARRATOR OF YOUR WLS SUCCESS STORY. It's one voice. There are others. Insofar as you can manage to put things in perspective and still feel like a success, even when the scale does not move...insofar as the scales movements don't elicit panic of regain and start unhealthy chains of behavior...insofar as the scale does not begin to dictate you you see yourself when you look in the mirror...go for it. It's a great feeling to see yourself approaching a healthy weight.

But I think the old proverb still stands. If you can't take the heat, get outta the kitchen!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

TXKashmir
on 6/21/12 2:22 am - Grand Prairie, TX
...ummm...will you marry me? -lol!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Larry Wassmann
on 6/21/12 1:32 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Congratulations on your great work so far and I am sure you are going to be successful in the future. I weigh once a week unless I go to the PCP or NUT and then they weigh me. I ask them not to tell me the weight, because I look forward to Monday mornings when I do my formal weigh in. My thin wife also weighs then as well.

In my former life of continual dieting, I used to weigh each day and I understand the pull to do that. But when the scale did not go down on each day I would worry and wonder if I needed to skip a meal, not drink anything, take a laxative or some other dumb thing just to satisfy the scale. You are probably not as stupid as me.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/21/12 1:55 am
Wonderful job on your progress.  It's so great to see a weight we haven't seen in a long long time.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views