Potassium powder

MrsLitch
on 6/3/12 10:20 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Doc gave me a script for potassium in a powder form. The nurse warned us that it pretty much tastes like dog doo. My question is if anyone here has had to take it how did they find was the easiest way to get it down?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 10:22 am - OH
I've never had the powder.  I had to take potassium tablets for a litlte while, and they were the biggest horse pills I've ever seen.  Bigger than calcium tablets.  Huge.  Chopped in half, they were still huge.  But they had no taste.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/3/12 10:27 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
it IS awful, I had to take it years ago when i was on a liquid diet , they no longer do  that they just have you use full sodium bullion.
Did your doc say why he wants you taking it??? it is very hard on your stomach and can cause all sorts of problems.
I would think if you got dizzy you could do bullion , to much potassium  can be baaaad , just like not enough can be bad. it does come in pill form. i was taking pill form meds the week after surgery

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

MrsLitch
on 6/3/12 10:31 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
He said it is the first thing they see typically drop so they put everyone on it for the first 4 months.

Even if he let us take the pill I couldn't I can't swallow pills.

He has us on a diet of nothing but meat, cheese, and eggs until like 4 months so I'm assuming it has more to do with the diet than anything.

Is the bullion prescription also? if not where can I get it, in case I can't handle the powder.

poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 10:38 am - OH
If my doc recommended taking potassium even though my labs showed my level was currently good, I think I might consider not taking it but getting labs done monthly for the first few months to monitor the situation.  Then I could start taking it if my level started to drop.  Not only is it unnecessary to take potassium if your level is good, but too much potassium can be a problem.

It may have to do with a diet of nothing but animal products, though, I don't know.  I'm curious.  What does he recommend his vegan clients do for the first four months?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 6/3/12 11:45 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I'm not sure other than the one who asked about tofu. seeing as I am pretty much the opposite of a vegan as in I don't eat veg (other than starchy bad ones) or fruit (other than tomatos) and have lived on pretty much what he's putting me on I was wondering why potassium would drop but I figure he knows more than I do (or at least I pray he does).

I think I will get my labs done by my pcp monthly and monitor. 

Thanks!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/3/12 12:02 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
all it is is chicken.beef, or veg. bullion cubes or powder from the grocery store.
In later years I was on liquid protein only for 9 months ( I lost 160 lbs) and did the bullion only no potassium, the doc found that patients were not taking the potassium because it was so dang bad and their blood work did just as well with the bullion 3 x a day.
I gotta say I sure was happy when they said they discontinued the potassium!!!!
I actually lost at a faster rate on the liquid diet than I am with bypass, I just pray that the bypass will be helpful with maintaining weight loss !!!!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

BWB
on 6/3/12 11:57 am
My potassium is slightly low too and have a pale gold pill in tablet form. After researching here I went to the pharmacist and asked about a good size pill to take. We decided this one would be easiest for me.

lanagirl
on 6/3/12 1:07 pm
I am on the prescription potassium powder and I find it interesting that your doc said it was common to be low, because my doc never sees it low! He was quite surprised when I ended up in the er and it was found that I had low potassium. I now have it monitered monthly and only have to take it after I exercise or have diarrhea because that is when it tends to get low. I mix it with crystal light fruit punch flavor and I don't taste it at all. It took me many months to figure out what would mask the taste. I agree with Kelly that I wouldn't take it if I wasn't low. It is not only harsh on your pouch but it is also harsh on your kidneys. My doc only wants me on it when I need it.

MrsLitch
on 6/3/12 2:49 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Thank you Lana that makes me feel a lot better!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views