Calorie intake???

slucier82
on 5/29/12 6:00 am - MI
RNY on 04/23/12
I am just over 5 weeks out from my surgery and I have no idea how many calories I should be aiming for?  And do I go by net calories or what I actually take in?  Some one please help me.

poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 6:21 am - OH
I was told it was not necessary to count calories that early out.  If you do count, though, I would count total calories.

All I did at that point, though, was count ounces of liquid and grams of protein.  If you are following your surgeon's plan, you should be getting the right amount of calories.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dasie
on 5/29/12 6:26 am
I agree with Kelly.  At 5 weeks out, I was doing good to get 30 grams of protein.  I did not consume many calories and did not count them at that point.  I concentrated on protein, fluids and vitamins.  Unless you were eating large volumes, and I can't imagine you are, I would stay on plan regarding protein and allowable carbs, fat, sugar, etc....

tracy L.
on 5/29/12 8:14 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
Please know, I am NOT being judgemental, at all, but I am wondering, does your Bari program not have a dietician?! I cannot imagine going thru this without the whole program I am in. Surgeon, dietician, fitness physiologist and psychologist all work together in one suite. I am only 8 days post op but my dietician an surgeon both have a clear cut plan to be followed, no exceptions. Right now I am 60-70 grams protein incorporated into 600-1000 calories per day and a minimum of 64-96 ounces daily. This is true for two week preop liquids and these first two postop weeks. Next week at postop I should move up to puréed, again with very specific plan. They check my food journal too. Each phase has a plan! I cannot imagine not having that! Thank goodness for vets like Kelly and several others that are soooo helpful! Let me know if u want me to share my specifics at five weeks!

slucier82
on 5/29/12 9:29 am - MI
RNY on 04/23/12
We do have a nutritionist, but I only met with her once back in September.  She has been out of town and unavailable.  At my 3 week check up all I was told was to continue with 48-64 oz of fluids a day, one protein shake and start introducing things like chicken and fish (1/3c).  I was not given a protein amount or calorie goal.  So I feel a little lost.  I have an appointment in about 2 weeks, so I am hoping they can answer my questions then.  Thank you all for your comments.

tracy L.
on 5/29/12 11:42 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
If I were you, start making a list of very specific questions!! I seriously just cannot wrap my mind around you trying to figure this out for yourself! I hav had to meet with the dietician once a month since February and during this early postop phase, i have to see her every time I go in to see the surgeon!! Two weeks, then at 4 weeks postop, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months and every year thereafter! Each of these appointments I am required to have blood work 5-7 days ahead of time so they can be reviewed at appt.. All of my spots were scheduled thru them and they set up all of my appointments for the first postop year, with the surgeon and dietician and at 6 months includes the psychologist again! Did they instruct u on your vitamins at least?? Good luck and let me know if I can help you, though I am NO expert

tracy L.
on 5/29/12 11:43 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
 Not spots!!! Lol! Appts!

slucier82
on 5/30/12 10:41 am - MI
RNY on 04/23/12
Yes I have been instructed on my vitamins.  I have been on them for 2 weeks now.

gbsinsatx
on 5/29/12 11:55 am - San Antonio, TX
  • These are the rules I followed/follow: 
  •  
  • *Drink 64 ounces Liquids daily (drink up to a meal, wait 60 minutes after a meal) (I add 2 packets sugar free drink mix and 1 teaspoon Benefiber to 2-32 ounce water containers)
  • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (100 or more grams beginning at 1200 calories a day)
  • *Eat no fat/lowfat dairy products
  • *Eat simple (fruit) and complex (vegetables, whole grains) Carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams)
  • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (more grams if able to tolerate-I allow myself no more than a maximum of 30 grams Sugar per meal from Simple and Complex Carbohydrate sources because I do not seem to dump on Sugar)
  • *Eat 3 main meals (B, L, D) no further than 5-6 hours apart
  • *Eat 1 protein snack at 1200 calories a day at least 2-3 hours from breakfast
  • *Eat 2-3 protein snacks at Maintenance calories a day at least 2-3 hours from B, L, D
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months) (I eat 1700-1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4")
  • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

slucier82
on 5/30/12 10:39 am - MI
RNY on 04/23/12
Thank you very much.  Your info is very helpful.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views