Possible Internal Hernia

ericc11964
on 5/10/12 8:22 pm - NY
So I am about 9 1/2 months op since my RNY. I've been experiencing a great deal of pain on the left side of my stomach located by the spot where my largest incision was. The pain is not constant but when it's present OUCH!!!! It gets better if I put pressure on the spot or crouch over. At first I thought it may have been just gas pains but it did not go away and in fact got worse. Besides the pain coming and going, I don't have much of an appetite, but I do try to eat a little to have something in my system. Made an appointment to see my doctor, they did a Cat Scan and said that everything looked normal and to come back in a couple days. I did and my surgeon told me that I have an internal hernia. Just because the cat scan looked fine doesn't mean that there wasn't something going on. He said it's fairly common to people who have lost as much as I have in such a short period of time.  I guess it's just a little, yet uncomfortable bump in the road. So surgery is set for Tuesday May 15 to take care of this issue. Has anyone else experienced this or knows someone who has? What should I expect from this type of procedure?

Sharon May
on 5/10/12 9:02 pm - Monroe, LA
Hi..by the way, you look awesome...way to go...

When my doctor did the upper GI on me before my surgery he found a high hernia...I think that's how you say it...He removed mine when I had my bypass...I see alot of people have said they didnt have much pain from their surgeries, and I'm just wondering did I have all that horrible pain on my left side because of him fixing the hernia?? I was told he had to go through a muscle on that side...I know I havent helped you any...sorry..I pray everything goes well for you during and after your surgery...
Sharon

lanagirl
on 5/11/12 3:04 am
I think you are talking about a hiatal hernia which is what they would find when doing an upper GI. It means part of your stomach was bulging into your esophogus and you wouldn't have any pain on your left side from them fixing it. That pain on your left side is very very common after surgery and the posters was not from surgery but came months after.

rachel05
on 5/10/12 9:43 pm - Leesburg, GA
I had an internal hernia repair 3 yrs post op,Mine also went undiagnosed. A CT scan missed it too. I was tender after,but not horrible. I cannot take any pains meds,except tylenol,theya ll make me dry heave. With that being said I havea very high tolerance for pain. I didn't take any pian meds after RNY either. I needed to travel out of state to get mine fixed.No doc's in GA would help me. I went all the way backt o PA.I had surg on Tuesday,I think,and was back home that Saturday.Driving too,with 3 kids and a hubby. Looking back I do not rememebr killer pain,just sore. I hope you feel better soon. I didn't have any problem eating though. I only had pain/pressure when I had a BM..
Strjen
on 5/10/12 11:38 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I am sitting in the hospital bed right now from having exploratory surgery for the exact same symptoms as you are having. Monday morning about 2:30 am I was awakened by horrible sharp pains in my left side. At first thought it was gas, but the pains became more intense & frequent. Called the surgeons office & came in. Had some bloodwork done & a CAT scan. Everything checked out & was normal & a follow up appointment was made for Wednesday. Pains were not any better, but worse. & I hadn't had a BM since Sunday was concerning to my surgeon since I drank all that liquid contrast for the CAT scan. Anyways, he decided to admit me in the hospital & give me an enema & 4 doses of miralax to see if I could get cleaned out. Still having pains they decided to do exploratory surgery. Surgeons assistant just left & said they found 3 internal hernias which they repaired & said that my colon was dilated & also they had cleaned up a bunch of adhesions around my colon. I should be going home sometime today. They have me talking liquid tylenol with codeine.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics