IS THERE A RNY REVISION BRAIN OUT THERE?

WeightNoMoreSherri
on 4/28/12 4:02 pm - St George, UT
 I need help on an issue that one of my Facebook friends asked me and I don't have the answer. Was wondering if anyone could help her/me on this issue?

I had my original RNY in 2003 and then a revision a few years after that... I was told after having the revision they had to re-do the entire RNY and that I cannot have any other revision ever again... THIS makes me very upset at this time because after the revision I did NOT lost the weight I was hoping to lose and did NOT reach MY personal goal... I am still trying and hope that one day I might get to where I want to be, but as far as the surgeons are concerned, surgery days for me are OVER.... so, its UP TO ME to do it the old fashioned way now.... plus the fact that I do need PLASTICS which is NOT covered by insurance.. and I am royally screwed there too... UGH.... any suggestions ??

~ Sherri

Sherri ~ BPD/DS ~ Dr. Robert Rabkin ~ San Francisco ~
                 March 15th, 1999 SW 332 CW 123
plum21
on 4/28/12 4:39 pm - Miami, FL
 Why would one want to  keep getting surgery that clearly doesn't work?
poet_kelly
on 4/28/12 6:26 pm - OH
Well, I"m not sure what she means.  What was wrong with her surgery the first time that required a revision?  When she says they re-did the entire RNY, does she mean that her pouch was too big so they made a new pouch AND that there was a problem with the connection between the pouch and the small intestine so they re-attached the small intestine somewhere else AND that there was a problem with the amount of intestine that had been bypassed so they bypassed more?  If so, then it sounds like her first surgeon totally screwed up and she probably has a great malpractice case.  After she wins her case, she'll have no trouble affording plastics.

Why didn't she lose weight after the revision?  And if she did not lose weight, why does she need plastics?

Without having any facts about her situation, except what she says here that doesn't make much sense, my only suggestions are to ask her surgeon and a registered dietician what she needs to do to lose some weight and to see a therapist to help her deal with any emotional issues going on.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/28/12 7:08 pm - OH
Well, as far as the plastic surgery, she will just have to accept that either she will have to live with the extra skin or come up with the money for the plastic surgery.  We all face that issue, and there really isn't any way around it. SOME insurance  policies will pay for the panniculectomy (removing excess skin below the belly button), but anything else is almost certainly self-pay.

As far as revisions and not losing weight, if they completely re-did her RNY (which I assume means modifying the pouch size AND adjusting the intestinal bypass) and she still did not lose as much weight as she wanted, there are several possibilities.  First, i would ask WHY she had ro have it revised.  If it was because it was not done correctly by the first surgeon, then that is one thing.  If it had to be redone because she consistently ate too much and stretched the pouch and stoma, then she needs to re-evaluate her portion sizes.  Eating too much will obviously hinder weight loss.  The second possibility is that she is not following the rules in terms of eating protein first, not drinking for 30 minutes after eating, limiting carbs, etc.  The third possibility is that she is not getting enough physical activity.  Some people expect that the surgery will magically eliminate all the excess weight without them having to do much of anything, and it just doesn't usually work that way.  The last 20-30 pounds can be HARD to get off, especially once the caloric malabsorption is gone.

If she follows the basic rules of post-op RNY eating (small (measured, if necessary) portions, protein first ALWAYS, no drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after meals, limited carbs and fat), she CAN lose weight.  It won't come off like it did when the intestinal bypass was new, but it WILL come off.  When my weight creeps up 5 pounds, that is how I get those 5 pounds off.

The fourth possibility is that the goal weight she has chosen is not realistic for her and her body simply refuses to go that low.  Many people just arbitrarily pick a goal weight, ignoring their body type and/or characteristics (e.g. Still having large breasts... You lose the fat in the breasts but not the breast tissue).  Also, some people who were SMO (BMI over 50) for a long period of time don't lose ALL of the excess weight.  Surgeons technically consider losing 70% of the excess weight "successful".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 295 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views