Surgery Date Set, No Insurance Approval Yet...

cjcsoon2brn
on 3/17/12 10:04 am, edited 3/17/12 10:06 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Hey everyone,

So my surgeons office told me a few weeks ago that I had a surgical date of 04/09 but I have been too nervous to post about it because they hadn't send the paperwork for insurance approval yet. I called the insurance company today and they said they don't have anything from the surgeon's office yet. I called my surgeon's office and they said that I need to be seen for a physical by their PA just prior to surgery before they send out the paperwork (which they plan to schedule for next week). I'm just getting nervous because this is so close to the date and yet the paperwork hasn't been sent out yet. The insurance company BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) says they need 2 weeks to approve or deny my claim and surgery is only 3 weeks away. I have already requested and been approved for 6 weeks out of work and made the hotel arrangements for my family to stay next to the hospital. The coordinator at my surgeon's office told me not to worry because if they submit the paperwork too early then they will get an automatic rejection but by doing it like this then I should be fine. I know I shouldn't worry because they have done this hundreds of times but I am because my whole life is counting on this and I have already made arrangments from work and stuff that I can't change if I'm denied for the surgery.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What was the outcome?
Should I try calling the office again and speak with someone else or just leave it alone and wait?

artroxy blue
on 3/17/12 10:29 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Why don't you wait a couple of days and then call your doctor's office again to confirm everything? I know when I spoke with my doctor recently (my PCP), she had told me that some insurance companies will reject you if your physical is more than 30 days before the surgery, so it sounds like a fine line to tread. I know every insurance company is different, and your surgeon's office is familiar with each one's procedures, you know? 

I understand how frustrating this can be, but take a deep breath, and know the surgeon's office is doing what they need to do.  ;) Things have a way of working out...
Linda-P
on 3/17/12 11:45 am, edited 3/16/12 11:45 pm - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
BCBS of what state? I know that my Dr's office submitted the paperwork with a date for surgery that just did not work with my schedule. In fact I postponed for 2 months. No problem BCBS covered the bill!

I am sure your Dr's office has done this many times and know if you'll be approved and the timelines involved. Take a deep breath, and relax, it is all well! Waiting now is the hardest thing to do!

Good luck!

NCwarriorchick
on 3/17/12 12:03 pm
I have BCBSNC it took less than 24 hours for approval.

1Haute Diva
on 3/17/12 12:11 pm - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
If your surgeon has done a lot of surgeries they should know the insurance procedures pretty well. I wouldn't worry yet.
- Shaw

OntrackAgain
on 3/18/12 12:13 am - Ashburn, VA
RNY on 03/06/12
 I have BCBS-MA.  My surgeon submitted my paperwork on Jan 9th, 2012 with a suggested surgery date of 2/14. BCBS approved me on Jan 11th.  I had to change the date to accommodate my schedule but that was not a problem they covered 100% after my $350 deductible.

Good luck!

To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required!                
cjcsoon2brn
on 3/18/12 7:27 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I have BCBS - RI and I am having the surgery in Boston, MA.
cjcsoon2brn
on 4/2/12 12:25 am, edited 4/2/12 12:26 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I'm still freaking out because I have called the insurance company and they say that they have no record of any pre-approval requests sent in to them. I have called and spoken with the coordinator at the surgeon's office a few times and each time she just tells me that it is in process and not to worry about it. I know that I shouldn't worry and that they have done it thousands of times but its very nerve racking that according to BCBS they don't have any record of a pre-approval request. As of today it is officially 1 wee****il surgery.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 316 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics