Thyroid (kind of OT)

aesposito
on 3/15/12 5:13 am, edited 3/15/12 5:14 am
My daughter, who has a history of psych issues, just got a thyroid panel done.  Her free T4 was 0.7, possibily indicative of hypothyroid.  Her TSH was 3.1, which is normal according to the reference ranges on the lab sheet, but I remember reading somewhere the endocrinologists would consider 3.1 high. 

Before I go googling and hitting up the people I work with about borderline hypothyroid issues, anyone have any similar experience?

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Day_dream_believer
on 3/15/12 12:54 pm

Not sure if this helps but normal free T4 is .7- to 2 .  Currently the normal TSH is .3 to 5., but .  most people say they feel better with a lower TSH.   I have heard there is some discussion on changing the reccomended levels, but I don't know if it was done.   Sometimes they will treat people with a high TSH that is still in the normal range if they are experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism.

rbb825
on 3/16/12 2:44 pm - Suffern, NY
I dont' have my paperwork from my Endocrinologist in front of me on the levels for the Free T4 level but I do know that the new levels that the Endocrinologists go by for a TSH for diagnostic purposes is .3 to 3.0  this is the test of choice to go by for diagnosis.  She is borderline - the T3 and T4 are difficult tests to go by if she is on any other hormones like birth control pills or HRT - since estrogen and progesterone will throw off the T3 and T4, so the TSH is what they usually go by for diagnosis

It is doubtful you will find a PCP willing to treat anyone with a TSH at that level so I recommend taking her to an Endocrinologist.  I was borderline for years and when I finally saw an Endo I was at 4.0 and I finally got treated by an Endo but my PCP still wouldnt treat me.  I immediately lost 30 pounds and had more energy.  She should also get a sonogram of her thyroid to check for nodules.  They are almost always benign but they need to be checked for,

good luck

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 83 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??