your eating habits?????

Nikia S.
on 3/10/12 2:24 am - Garland, TX
Did you change your eating habits before or after surgery? Did you find the change difficult? Or do you still eat the same foods, just less of it?

Nikia S. ~~My not yet is way better than my right now~~
HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

kidnamedtoad
on 3/10/12 2:32 am
For the past 2 years I have changed my eating habits to a healthier diet.  But... the weight did not change.  I started the WLS process and completely eliminated all sugary carbs, pasta, bread and most beverages.  I lost 30bs prior to surgery in 3 months eating what the nut said and have lost 34 lbs in the 3 months since surgery.  My goal is to mostly eat healthy but also mostly the same foods I ate before but in smaller portions once I hit my goal weight.  I am hopeful that a rigorous workout schedule will keep my weight stable once I no longer malabsorb. 
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
LJ1972
on 3/10/12 2:50 am - FL
I changed before surgery. I had to do a 6mth supervised diet and I took it seriously. Since I had 6mths to work on it, I did ok
Skinnygirlme
on 3/11/12 11:04 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 How much did u lose during your 6 month diet?  Curious if losing well hinders getting surgery after. I'm doing my 6 month diet now. 
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
LJ1972
on 3/11/12 11:16 am - FL
I lost 36lbs but was still a very high BMI (50 or something).  My understanding is the weight loss doesn't effect as far as insurance coverage.  I tried hard to lose so I could say I had done my part to be ready for the operating table.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Skinnygirlme
on 3/11/12 11:18 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping to lose about that during 
MY 6 month too. Hoping my ins is like yours and it doesn't hinder approval. I'dike the best jump star I can get!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Nikia S.
on 3/10/12 3:11 am - Garland, TX
Thanks I am trying to see what others do.

HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/12 3:38 am - OH
I did not really change much until after surgery.  I ate less, and tried to make a few better choices, during my 3-month pre-op diet... but that was minimal.

I did not find the change difficult at first... I was too focused on getting in enough protein to even have to worry about making many bad food choices.  Once I was 4 months or so out (hard to remember so far back), though, I started to crave the old bad foods again, though, and the old emotional and behavioral food demons started peeking their ugly heads out again.  Then it was much harder!

Keep in mind that I will be 5 years out this summer.  For me it is a liitle of "all of the above" as far as what I eat. 
- Things changed in that I no longer eat fast food (except things like Wendy's chili or something healthy from Subway (minus the bread)) and the only thing I eat that is fried is some occasional shrimp or small handful of potato chips or tortilla chips (yes, gasp!, a small amount of potato chips!).  No more breakfast goodies from Panera, Crispy Creme, or McDonald's.  What I do eat is a lot of simple, whole foods (yes, after several years it does get boring) and not a lot of processed foods (mostly the occasional Lean Cuisine).
- Things just changed in terms of quantity for some things where I eat them as is, but just eat much less. I love french Dip sandwiches, so occasionally I will get on, remove as much bread as I can and eat just half.  I also have some kind of small treat every day.  Usually it is a couple of small spoonfuls of my favorite ice cream or a couple of dark chocolate Hershey Kisses; occasionally it is something salty like pretzels.
- For MOST things, though, it is a matter of slight modifications.  I still occasionally eat pizza, for example, but I eat only 2 bites of crust and then just the toppings. I eat half a cheeseburger minus the bun, and any kind of sandwich I make is always made with one thin piece of bread cut in half.  Periodically I make my favorite tuna-rice casserole with parsley-mushroom sauce but I modified the recipe to handle a small increase in tuna and a small decrease in the rice (it is tough to change the recipe much, though, because it has whipped egg whites in it and too much tuna collapses it).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Nikia S.
on 3/10/12 3:51 am - Garland, TX
So neat to hear how foods are eliminated or minimized within your diet. I see alot of people say theycannot tolerate breads. Thanks!

HW-339 Preop-331 SW-313

L. Matteson
on 3/10/12 4:00 am
RNY on 07/02/12
I changed my eating habits about a month ago, and I've already lost 13 lbs. I won't be having surgery until the summer, of course that is if I get ins approval.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views