Do all RNY patients wake up with a drain tube??

Silverbelle69
on 3/3/12 3:55 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I am pre-op and have read a lot about RNY.  Today was the first I have heard about a drainage tube.  Sounds horrifying!  Does everyone get one and is it as terrible as it sounds?

Thanks

happy_baker
on 3/3/12 4:04 am, edited 3/3/12 4:40 am
RNY on 02/15/12
I had one, but not everyone does. It's up to the individual surgeon.

I had a JP drain--meaning, the tube ran out of my body and connected to a little rubber bulb on the end. The bulb creates gentle suction that helps remove built-up fluids from the surgery area.

Honestly, it's not that bad. It's cumbersome because you have to make sure you don't yank or snag it (that'll twinge a bit) and the hole where the drain tube exits was sore, and I couldn't sleep on that side, but it wasn't bad. Having it removed didn't hurt, it just felt really odd.

The most tedious part was having to clean it every night. I had it in for a week. I'd empty the bulb where the fluids collect, wipe down the mouth of the bulb with antiseptic, clean the exit wound, and redress it. Took maybe 5 minutes.

It's really not bad. In fact, I attribute my drain to my fast recovery. I think not having those fluids pooling in my body helped my heal faster, reduced my risk of infection, as well as my sense of bloating. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I choose to believe.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Nell R.
on 3/3/12 4:07 am - Hewitt, TX
Not everyone gets them, I didn't thank goodness because they do sound dreadful! 

krazykay
on 3/3/12 4:17 am
Don't know if everyone gets one but I had a drain for my bypass and gall bladder surgeries. I didn't find the drain to be a big issue.

Some folks say to make sure you've had a painkiller when the medical folks pull out your drain. That's probably a good precaution as apparently the removal can be painful.  I didn't experience any pain - just a really strange sensation. But its over in a couple of seconds.
poet_kelly
on 3/3/12 4:27 am - OH
No, not all surgeons use drains, at least not routinely.  I did not have one.  Ask your surgeon if you should expect to have one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

exohexoh
on 3/3/12 4:34 am - West Chester, PA
 i had the jp drain as well. they took it out before i left the hospital (last thing i was "unhooked" from). i thought it hurt when they pulled it out, but i also hadn't had a pain killer in quite a few hours (once they got rid of my button i didn't ask for any). it did leave a tiny scar (about the size and shape of a pencil eraser) but that's pretty unnoticable.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

mskris8199
on 3/3/12 4:55 am
RNY on 03/06/12
My surgeon does the JP regularly so I will also be waking up with a drain.  Mine will be out before I leave the hospital though (at least that is my understanding).
Skoonie
on 3/3/12 5:04 am - Van Wert, OH
RNY on 01/31/12 with
I had surgery Jan 31st and woke up with 2 drains they emptied them every so many hours and took them out right before I left the hospital which did not hurt at all it was a strange feeling in my belly but no pain more like going down a steep hill on a coaster is the best I can describe it. Good luck

Tammy G.
on 3/3/12 5:26 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
Drains are not a big deal. You won't even notice it. I've never had one hurt when pulled out, just a strange sensation. Don't stress over the 'details' of surgery--it looks & sounds a whole lot worse than it really is in reality.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

hedrider
on 3/3/12 5:42 am - Midlothian, TX
 I didn't have them.  Ask your surgeon what his usual practice is.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics