Another Protein ?

ohlordyp
on 2/25/12 5:09 am - AZ
 Okay, I know that most of us newbies struggle at getting all our protein eaten. I know all the years of Weigh****chers I would think that is not worth the points and not eat or drink it. So here is my question: Do you have a limit of how much protein is in something before you eat or drink it? This is excluding protein drinks. I am almost to my 3 month post op and my doctor tells me I am too scientific with my questions, but I just can't help it.
Priscilla     
Mary Catherine
on 2/25/12 5:54 am
 Six grams of protein is better than zero grams.  Get in all the protein you can and don't worry about WW points right now.  Your body is going to lose weight and it is better to lose it with as much protein intake as possible.
poet_kelly
on 2/25/12 7:22 am - OH
I don't have a specific limit, no.  If I have a choice between something with a lot of protein and something with very little protein, I usually go for the thing with a lot of protein.  Occasionally I decide to eat something without much protein just because I like it, but not very often.

I'm sorry to hear your doctor thinks your questions are too scientific.  I think it's a real shame when doctors discourage patients from asking questions or don't want to take the time to educate patients.  Perhaps what he means is, you are asking some questions he does not know the answers to and he does not want to take the time to find out the answers for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Day_dream_believer
on 2/25/12 8:09 am
Personally, I look at the nutritional information to see if it is worth eating.  For example, I picked up some protein cereal bars for my kids.  They have 10 grams of protein, but they are also around 200 calories and have 8 grams of fat.  I would do far better drinking a protein shake with skim milk.  I would get close to 30 grams of protein and no fat for the same amount of calories.   I would suggest you start tracking your protein on something like fitday or myfitnesspal.  If you are able to at least the 70-80 grams of protein then I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

This early out the fat and calories may not be that big of a deal as you don't eat as much, but later it will matter.  I don't want to get in the habit of eating food that isn't as healthy.  At my last support group meeting the leader ask us if we were doing this to lose the weight or get healthy.  They see a lot of people that get their protein in from things like cheese and then wonder why they still have high cholesterol.  (  I know a little cheese is fine.  I love it and eat it.  BUT getting your protein from only cheese isn't good for you.)

missjann
on 2/25/12 8:17 am
I try to get in as much protein as possible, but I don't have a limit. I
sometimes may decide that something that has 250 calories and
3 grams of protein simply isn't worth the calories, but then again,
if I really, really want it, I might decide it's okay once in a while. The
important thing is that I try to make informed and conscious decisions
about what I put in my mouth vs. mindless eating.  I'm sorry your doc
thinks that way. I think asking those types of questions means you're
thinking about long-term success. Those questions will serve you well
throughout your wls journey.  My guess is that your doctor, as Kelly said,
didn't know how to answer your question and likely has not had a weight
issue of his own to deal with. 

It comes down to....if I'm "spending" 300 calories to only get 4 grams
of protein and I have to hit a target of 90 grams of protein for the day,
I'm going to spend my calories wisely to get to my goal. The danger is
that I spend all my calories and don't get my protein in, or I go over my
caloried budget to get my protein in.  Option 1 means I may not stay
optimally healthy over time. Option 2 means I gain weight.

Keep up the good questions!
    Jan

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics