Ferritin, B12, and Vit D levels

wrussell3
on 2/22/12 4:26 am - NC
So, I am curious about some things.  When I had my blood tests done, my ferritin came back at 44, my B12 is at 1513, and my Vit D is at 23.2.  The nurse at my bariatric surgeon's office told me to stop my B12 supplements and gave me a prescription for Vit D (50k IU D-2) and did not mention anything about my ferritin level.  I told her that was the wrong Vit D; that I needed dry D-3.  She said for me not to believe everything I read.  This office also tells us to take TUMS every day, too.   I think I read on here that our ferritin level should be at least 60 but I cannot find information anymore.  Any thoughts on this?

poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 4:28 am - OH
You are correct about needing dry D3.  You can order 50,000 IU D3 capsules from vitalady.com.

Your B12 is great and I would not stop your B12 supplements.  If you stop them, it will drop very quickly.

I agree with the nurse that you should not believe everything you read, but I wonder why she does not think you should believe the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery when they say you need calcium citrate, not Tums?  I would think they would be considered a pretty reliable source of information.

Your ferritin level is not horrible but could certainly be better.  What was your total iron?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wrussell3
on 2/22/12 4:36 am - NC
It only shows Ferritin.  My copy has CBC, CMP, Vit B1, Vit D, Lipid Profile, TSH, PTH, and Ferritin.  I don't see anything stating total iron.

poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 4:42 am - OH
Were these like your nine month post op labs?  Or were they just checking a few things now for some reason and will be doing your nine month labs soon?  Because there is a BUNCH of stuff you did not get checked.  And it makes no sense to me to check ferritin without iron.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wrussell3
on 2/22/12 4:47 am - NC
That was actually from my 6 month labs and I don't get anymore until June. 

poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 4:49 am - OH
Oh.  I personally would not wait that long to get a full set of labs done.

wrussell3
on 2/22/12 5:30 am - NC
I am apprehensive about that.  I know it would be much easier and safer to maintain good levels than it would be to catch up if deficient.  Thanks for your help!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 292 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 371 views