Update on my cat - OT

YankeeRose
on 2/18/12 4:09 am - Meadville, PA
So I found out my cat has hyperthyroidism. Vet said his levels were off the chart. Started him on some medication and he will have his levels checked again in 1 week. Luckily he does not have diabetes and his kidneys were okay but his liver enzymes were elevated. He has lost HALF of his body weight! The Vet rated his body at 1.5 and said he was very sick and also dehydrated. My poor baby!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Barb H.
on 2/18/12 4:12 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Oh, I'm so sorry! It's so har when are fur babies get sick!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

pattymac65
on 2/18/12 4:20 am
 I have two cats (brother/sister) with hyperthyroidism.  Once its diagnosed its pretty easy to treat.  There are two treatments... daily pill or there is a one-time radioactive treatment.  I had that done on the girl (the boy has other issues) and it worked out well.  One treatment and a week in the hospital and her levels are actually on the low side now.

Good luck and give your baby some extra loving!

YankeeRose
on 2/18/12 4:30 am - Meadville, PA
Thanks Pattymac, that's good to hear. My baby has been sleeping soundly (which he hasn't done in awhile) since we got back from the Vet's this morning.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Zeigled
on 2/18/12 4:35 am - Parkton, MD
I'm so glad you got a diagnosis.  I hope he is able to pull through. Body rating of 1.5 is bad - did he give him some fluids too for the dehydration?  I hope the meds kick in quickly.  The liver issue might be just related to being so under weight.  Were you able to take him home? Hugs to your kitty.  Thanks for updating us.  I was worried.
HW 357 SW 341   

YankeeRose
on 2/18/12 4:42 am - Meadville, PA
Thank you for your concern. I sent you a personal message too. I was able to bring him home. They did not give him any fluids that I'm aware of. When we got home I gave him a dose of his medicine in some wet food, he ate and has been sleeping contently ever since. I am glad about this because he has not been sleeping well. The Vet said he'll be on meds for the rest of his life and he said he was very glad that Mishka did not also have diabetes or any organ damage as that would only complicate things.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

poet_kelly
on 2/18/12 4:53 am - OH
Aww, I hope he's OK now.  I have a kitty with some medical problems, including diabetes.  It's hard when they don't feel good.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 2/18/12 5:09 am - Germantown, MD
 Me & my furbabies are sending you and your kitty prayers and positive thoughts!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics