Question about cold meds w/hypertension

YankeeRose
on 2/13/12 5:05 am - Meadville, PA
What can we take for a cold that is okay for high blood pressure? I used to always take Coricidin HBP but not sure if they are okay. Can't remember if they are enteric coated. Does anyone know?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/12 5:46 am
I, too, have HBP, and was told that I could not take Coricidin HBP anly longer;  my pcp told me that the only thing I could take was Benedryl.  He also suggested that I use the nasal spray, but to only put it in one nostril per day and alternate [left one day, right the next, repeat] .  He said that you avoid the rebound effect of the nasal spray that way and can still breathe.
YankeeRose
on 2/13/12 5:54 am - Meadville, PA
Wow that really sucks because Benedryl makes me very sleepy  and I hate nasal sprays. Did he say why you could no longer take Coricidin?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/12 8:51 pm
If I just can't tough it out, I take the generic tylenol cold [either walgreens or walmart brand].  And, I usually only take it at night so I can sleep.
hlacy
on 2/14/12 11:32 am - Chandler, AZ
I'd ask a pharmacist if we can take it. Per their site, I don't see any NSAIDs in any of the formulas:

http://www.coricidinhbp.com/ 

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

exohexoh
on 2/13/12 6:08 am - West Chester, PA
 i've always just taken the regular stuff. the coricidin doesn't touch my colds and the regular stuff doesn't raise my bp enough to worry me

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

YankeeRose
on 2/13/12 6:10 am - Meadville, PA
May I ask what you take?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

exohexoh
on 2/13/12 11:20 am - West Chester, PA
 depends. probably mostly the generic of tylenol cold/sinus both the daytime and pm. i'm thinking i'm gonna need some tonight. all of a sudden im sneezing and stuffy like crazy :-/

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
Recent Topics