HELP me I'm falling...back into old habits.

StephanieRN
on 2/8/12 12:37 pm - IN
Help!  I'm afraid I've been falling into old habits.  I'm 7 months post op and suddenly I've found tmyself nibbling on cookies, cake, sugar free candy etc., anything within reach.  I'm pretty sure I don't dump due to the amount I've eaten not so much at one time but throughout the day but still....I SO wish I would've dumped the first time and then I wouldn't do it again, but now that I've pushed the envelope, I'm afraid of what is next.  Will I continue to flirt with danger?  Will I put back on the 102 lbs I've lost?  I do NOT want to go back there!! 
I've tried to monitor whats going on when I start craving or snacking because I don't even realize it till its already down the hatch.  I've had alot of emotional trauma lately and I know that's part of it, but it's like I don't care at the time, I don't have control of that moment..  I'm so frustrated. 
Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone have any suggestions how to get back into the healthy living state of mind?    I'm so desperate.  I would take puking any day over this.....

qnmimi
on 2/8/12 12:53 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I struggle constantly too...it's a lot of the same issues from pre-op that get me. I've been chewing a lot of gum between meals to help me get over this, and the extra gas in my pouch from chewing the gum has been managable so far. My worst times are after supper when I'm home, and watching TV...it's the old urges to snack. For the sweet fix, I save a protein bar for bedtime. I've also been trying to keep fresh vegies to snack on...at least when I'm conscious about the urge to snack I have some good choices available.

THE_life10
on 2/8/12 12:55 pm
RNY on 03/26/12

From my experiences the best way to tackle emotional eating is a therapist .  No matter how many times you do a pouch test or anything like that to keep the weight off, you still haven't gotten to the root of the issue. 

Good luck to you and i wish you much success

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

seattledeb
on 2/8/12 1:04 pm
 You answered your question.
You said these thing were within reach.
Remove them from your reach!
You are in the honeymoon period of your surgery. Do you go to support group? Do you post here?
What does success look like for you?
Deb T.

StephanieRN
on 2/8/12 10:09 pm - IN
I do go to a once a month support group and I'm on here occasionally.  I think I need to be on here more to see if I'M  "normal" and to see if others are struggling with the same issues  and how they handle them. It's weird too because I've lost so much and people start saying how good you look and how you need to stop losing weight that I thik it goes to your head a bit too.  For the first time people aren't telling you you need to get healthy and lose weight so you slack a bit.  I wish I had better self control!
Dee.spunk
on 2/8/12 2:49 pm - Sacramento, CA
I have felt the same way. But I think having a support group and coming on here have kept me on track. And my NUT is available if I ever need to talk to her about these urges, and she always reminds me why it's important to keep on track.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

nfarris79
on 2/8/12 7:48 pm - Germantown, MD
 Tons of people have the same problem. Wish that the surgeons could have done a little tweaking on our brains and not just our guts, but until that technology develops......
Start with some of the behavioral things that you can manage: smart snacks on hand, distracting yourself when you have the urge to nibble, removing the temptations from your kitchen (even if that means getting your family on board with healthier eating!).
If you still have alot of trouble, consider seeing a therapist - possibly one that specializes in cognitive-behavioral treatment.
And even if you did dump, which is kinda like aversion therapy, at some point you might find a way to cheat around that too, if the maladaptive behavior controls you so! (believe me, this is coming from a dumper AND a therapist!).

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

StephanieRN
on 2/8/12 10:12 pm - IN
Thank you all for your encouragement.  I"ve seen a therapist in the past but not for these issues.  Maybe it's time to reconnect.  I know alot of this is stress related but I've got to change my internal thinking and become aware of those triggers and stop them before I blow it and then have to deal with the guilt after eating something I shouldn't have which makes me more emotional etc.  Vicious cycle!
hedrider
on 2/9/12 12:21 am - Midlothian, TX
Where is the stuff you are eating coming from?  Are you buying it?

Throw it away.  It's time to use willpower.  Easier said than done, but neccessary if you find you can't control it.

And from my experience freezing stuff doesn't make you eat less of it.  Some things taste just as good frozen.  *shame*
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

poet_kelly
on 2/9/12 1:36 am - OH
Why are you keeping cookies, cake and candy within reach?  If you didn't have it handy, you'd have more time to think before it's down the hatch.

What are you doing to deal with your emotional trauma?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 224 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 224 views