Need Your Help

dren
on 2/2/12 5:54 am - Big Clifty, KY
You all do not know me on here. MY name is Drenda Studer, 5 1/2 years ago I got a lap band, my lap band has been very successful. I am very pleased with it. I have started back to school and I am doing a research on the lap band versuses gastric by pass. I don't know that much about gastric bypass. If any of you would care to help me it would be greatly appreciated. As to why you chose this type of surgery over the lap band and has it been successful for you.  I know every one made their decision based on their on needs and body, I know that is why I made mine. I have the up most respect for any one no matter what choice they made and do not think for one minute that one surgery is better than the other, that is not why I am doing this. I just think it is a good topic. Please  if you don't mind to help me out I am thanking you in advance because I do not have the time to thank each person that responds individually. So thanks so much if you choose to help me.
rthomas1964
on 2/2/12 6:25 am - Orlando, FL
I am a newbie but for me I chose the gastric bypass over lapband because I didn't want a foreign object left in my body for a lifetime. It might sound silly but I had heard so many negative resulfts that I figured this would be more sucessful for me. I knew more people who had my type of surgery than I did the lapband so I knew I would have more support when I needed it. I hope this helps you. So far I am very pleased with my results.

HW: 330 4/2011; pre surgery wt:313; surgery wt: 295

Price S.
on 2/2/12 6:36 am - Mills River, NC
Glad you have been successful, that is what this is all about.  5.5 yrs out is a great record for being successful with any of the surgeries.

My surgeon was 1.5 hrs away from me and i didn't want to have to travel for fills.  I had also heard sevral horror stories about band failures and that scared me.  I also had about 100 lbs to lose and the possiblity of doing that seemed greater with RNY.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dren
on 2/2/12 7:32 am - Big Clifty, KY
I understand, I lost my 100 pounds within 10 months. I have had 5 adjustments and try not to depend on my band I really try and depend on my eating habits. I had to change them so I depend on that for my success.  This is why I decided to do this paper on this topic, I thought it was good to get both sides as everyone has had their own experiences and have done it for what was best for them. The only thing that really makes me mad because people have a right to their own opinion is for someone to tell me I took the easy way out. Because you know as well as I do this is not by no means easy. It is a tool and if you do not use it as a tool no matter which surgery you choose you will fail. Ice Cream, Cookies, Candy Pizza all still taste the same and our brains still tell our stomach it wants it. Thank you for your responds. I appreciate it very much.
Mary Ledoux
on 2/2/12 8:44 am - Londonderry, NH
RNY on 01/10/12
I had the bypass vs the lap band for several reasons. The main reason was my health. The bypass is proven more effective for diabetics. I came home from the hospital not taking any of my medications! I also do not like shots, so there was no way I would even think of the lap band...

LJ1972
on 2/2/12 8:47 am - FL
I chose RNY for a few reasons:
a friend had horrible issues with the band
I was nervous about having a foreign object inside me
my surgeon recommended RNY vs lapband after our consultation
DebsGiz
on 2/2/12 9:20 am - FL

When I first began considering wight loss surgery, I had planned to have the lap-band; however, after investigating it I decided that it was not for me for a variety of reasons.

I thought there were simply too many problems associated with it.  As well, I did not like the idea of having to take a day off from my job every couple of months to drive to my doctors office, 3 hours each way, for fills and such.

I also discovered that some of the most unhealthy (slider) foods work with the lap-band, and I felt that I really needed something that was going to force me to modify my eating habits.

I chose RNY because my insurance would only pay for either the lap-band or the RNY.  Those were my only two choices.

I have absolutely no regrets as I am below my goal weight and feel like a million bucks.

Good luck on that paper!!!

DEB
dren
on 2/2/12 1:23 pm - Big Clifty, KY
Thanks you all. I chose the lap band because my husband told me I was not going to get my stomach cut. I have not had any problems what so ever with the lap band and you do not know it is even in there. The fills do not hurt at all. I had to pay for my lap band out of pocket because my insurance would not pay for any of this. But as I said we all chose what was best for us. I do thank you for helping me out with this. No matter how we get there we are all getting there. Thanks again.
Hattie T.
on 2/2/12 3:57 pm - Denver, CO
For over a year I thought that lap band would be safest for me. However, I finally figured out that I would be able to goof off with the lap band, just as I'd done with many other diets. I mean, after all, the band wouldn't work if I didn't go and get the fills. I knew that I would need something that would kick my behind if I screwed with it.

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
dren
on 2/3/12 6:00 am - Big Clifty, KY
Thank you for your comment but this is my whole point on doing this survey. The lap band is a tool and not a quick fix. I am not telling anyone this is the surgery to get because I think it is the best. But if you go into any WLS with an attitude that you can beat it, it is going to beat you. You can beat the gastric by pass by stretching your stomach. The Lap Band is a tool and has to be used as a tool. I am pleased I chose my lap band and if I had it to do all over again I would choose it again. I have not had the problems with my band I have not kept my band tight, I have lost 140 pounds using it as a tool. I hope you have good luck.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics