Anybody in their early 20's goin through WLS process

Winchy
on 1/27/12 12:44 pm - Bronx , NY
So I am only 22 yrs and this month I began the whole process of WLS. When I went to my first appointment I felt as if all EYES where on me . Everybody there was way older then me, they looked at me with the WHAT THE HELL U DOING HERE LOOK, YOUR YOUNG YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN... But the truth is I have a story too, and I too am struggling with my weight, have been my whole life. Yeah I mayb young but it doesn't mean anything. I tried many times to lose weight but its freakin hard. When your heavy and your trying to lose weight the results take way longer to show and u stop believing in yourself. But one thing I know is I'm happy that I am going through this journey NOW, I rather do it now that I am young then later on in my life. Getting surgery means so much right now. A change and fresh start to my life. I don't want to wait til I'm older like all those people waiting to realize I have to make a change in life. I don't want to wait until it's to LATE... Is that so BAD, that I want this for myself?? Anybody know how I'm feeling?
Jenspunky
on 1/27/12 1:17 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

I know how you feel. :)

I was 24 when I first started the process for WLS.  I was going to have open RNY, but I ended up losing the weight on my own, and keeping it off for over 2 years.  Gained it back and then some.  

The younger you are, the better you will recover.  Doing this before you have tons of co-morbidities is a smart move, as well. 

Good luck in your journey!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Winchy
on 1/27/12 1:30 pm - Bronx , NY
 Thanx....I've been tryin since I was 16 and I will lose some and gain a ton. But what will upset me the most is the fact that when I did lose my clothes fit me the same which will **** me off. I just need the help. And theres people out there who seem not to understand that.
smiley_k
on 1/27/12 1:50 pm
I get what your feeling, but you have to remember you are doing this for yourself and not anyone else. I'm sure you've given surgery a lot of thought and have decided its the best option for you. If so, focus on you and what you need to be successful, I'm sure the rest will follow. Have you been on the WLS in your 20s forum? There are a few of us there, myself included, and although it's not as frequently updated and posted on as the main RNY forum, it's a good place to chat. All the best in your journey!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_in_your_20s/

Katie  ♥     

Winchy
on 1/27/12 2:03 pm - Bronx , NY
 Its good to here that I am not alone..and thanx means alot...I didn't know about the 20s forum.. Thanx for letting me know..It may say I've been a memeber since 2009 but thats only becuase that yr is when I started looking into WLS...I never cared what anybody thinks.. which in a sense is funny that it bothers me when older people who r goin through the same thing I'm going through look at me funny.. Your right this about me and my journey...shouldn't let it bother me..Thanks alot..
jennybear87
on 1/27/12 10:38 pm - Canada
I know how you feel, I was 23 when I started my WLS journey and I had a lot of people making me feel the same way that you are feeling. I've tried numerous times to lose weight on my own but nothing had worked for me and I was at a point where I had gained so much weight that I didn't know what else to do. 
This surgery has truely changed my life! I'm 5.5 months post op and I can't remember when I have felt so good! I've lost 95lbs so far and still losing. You need I do what's right for you and tune out all of the negativity! Good luck :)

InkdSpEdTchr
on 1/27/12 11:27 pm
Maybe not quite perceiving their looks correctly, maybe what you're seeing is jealousy... I know lots of older folks who have WLS wished that they did it when they were younger. I know I wish I hadn't waited to so long.

But the other folks are correct, don't spend a moment on the haters, just focus on you and your journey!

Good Luck

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Jamie M.
on 1/28/12 1:11 am
 I'm 22 girl and just had my surgery back in August!
Winchy
on 1/29/12 4:46 am - Bronx , NY
 Good for you, Congrats how was it? This whole experience???
vim_and_vinegar
on 1/28/12 1:22 am
 I'm 21 and I know exactly what you mean. Particularly because I was a 'lightweight' at 5"7 and 250 pounds, I definitely felt -- and still feel -- like there are situations when I disclose my RNY and get a fairly negative reaction, usually something along the lines of "but you're so young!" 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views