Vitamins

NCwarriorchick
on 1/15/12 8:55 am
 How soon after I leave thehospital do I start taking my vitamins.  all of them are chewable but don't know if i should wait several days before I start. Don't want to upset my stomach.
poet_kelly
on 1/15/12 9:04 am - OH

I see this question a lot and it seems many docs have different recommendations.  I thought I’d share what the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says on the matter.

They recommend starting your multi and your iron as soon as you come home from the hospital.

They say you CAN wait up to one month to start your calcium.  Not that you have to, just that you can.  Personally, I would start it sooner than that but if it feels overwhelming to get everything in, hold off a bit.

They also say you can wait up to three months to start B12, which really seems like a long time to me, but that’s what they say.  Not that you have to wait that long, but you can.  Personally, I would make sure I had my B12 level checked pre op before I decided to wait that long and if I really didn’t want to start a sublingual ‘til three months out, I think I’d ask my doc for a B12 shot at my first follow up appt.

The reason we can wait on some things is that we store some things in our bodies for a while.  But some things we don’t, we really need every day.  Missing them for a couple days is no big deal, and you’re not gonna develop some terrible nutritional deficiency and die if you get no vitamins at all for two weeks.  But getting vitamins as soon as possible can help you heal.  And if you rely on what you have stored up, then you have nothing to fall back on later if you need it.

The ASMBS doesn’t address when to start things like D3 or biotin if you’re going to take those.  Personally, I’d start them as soon as I felt up to it and make the D3 a priority if I was deficient at all at the time of surgery.  But I wouldn’t stress about waiting a week or two if I needed to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wishfullthinker
on 1/15/12 9:06 am
 I was told you start in the hospital. I was also suggested to do liquid ones and crushed in the beginning. I tried the liquid centrum and it doesn't taste that bad. But my surgeon kept telling me vitamins are the most import thing! I'm afraid I'm going to forget..lol
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 12:27 pm
VSG on 01/19/12
well this at least one topic I thought would be consistent.. but i guess not.. my surgeon says to start at 2 weeks after.. I'm not suppose to take any pills even chewable for those two weeks.  I would consult your doc, he will give you the best direction..
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 354 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 333 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 289 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 350 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 289 views