From sleeve to Rny anyone??

Trish-hoping
on 1/9/12 7:23 am - Benton, Canada
Hi there all you successful RNYers! I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Oct of 2010 and lost 120lbs. My metabolism has caught up with my weightloss and I have been the same for the last 6months. I am still maintaining my weightloss to date but still have alot to lose. I have the opportunity for the rny surgery with my surgeon, because I had such a large BMI of over 55 when I started, he wrote me down as needing 2 surgeries. My medicare in Canada would also cover this second surgery which is great as I don't have the funds otherwise. Just wondered if anyone out there had the rny after the sleeve and how you made out with it as a second WLS? Thanks so much and any replies or advice is welcome! Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
Ladytazz
on 1/9/12 10:13 am
I know Canada is different there but they won't pay for a DS?  That is usually the second part after the sleeve.  It has more malabsorption then the RNY and the malabsorption if permanent unlike the RNY which only lasts for a couple of years or so.  Plus, you would be able to keep your pyloric valve and not have to worry about dumping or reactive hypoglycemia.
If they don't pay for a DS and you can't self pay then the RNY sounds like your only alternative.  I have seen several who have been revised from a sleeve to a RNY (myself included but it's really a long story.  My sleeve was part of a different surgery and was very large and I had no restriction) who have done very well with it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Trish-hoping
on 1/9/12 6:57 pm - Benton, Canada
Thanks for the reply LadyTazz! I would love to hear more details about how much people *****vised to RNY lost and whether they started out at a higher BMI originally. No unfortunately in my province there is no one currently offering the DS. It was my first logical choice but I just don't have the 12,ooo $ plus to pay for a self pay. Since I only have about 65lbs to goal I am really hoping that The RNY will get me to my goal and then plastics would be the icing on the cake. I still have great restriction when I make wise choices but I think the combination of the small pouch combined with even the temporary malabsorption would be enough. I would love to hear more details of your journey though and how you did after the RNY!! Any how if you have time sometime you could inbox me or I could take a peek if its on your blog. Thanks Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 142 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?