What would you do?

Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 7:56 am - CA
 So I saw my PCP today, and she said she did not want me to loss any more weight.  She is not my surgeon, but she is the one who has been taking care of me for years and knows me the best.

My surgeon did not set a goal for me, not a weight or a BMI goal, so I set one for myself.  I wanted to get to 145, I am 5'8" and 40 years old.  Currently I am 150 lbs and my BMI is 23.

I know it is only 5 lbs and it doesn't even matter that much, but I set this goal and I wanted to reach it.  So should I do what she said and try to stop or should I just go for it and loss the other 5 lbs and reach a goal for the first time ever in my life.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have control of this weight loss at all, my body does what it wants since I am still so new out from surgery, only 8 months.  I have 18 months to work this surgery, so there is so much time left.  

What would you do?

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 8:02 am - MD
 Did she give a reason?

As with most things a doctor tells you, its ultimately your call. If your goal is to be healthy which I would certainly say you now are then you're golden, if your true measurment is that number then I would go for it. 
Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 8:09 am - CA
She worries I might get too thin and she thinks that a BMI of 20 (which I would have at 145) would be too low.  A BMI of 20 is fine, under 18 is bad.  Plus, most people say that you regain 10lbs over time anyway, so if she wants me at 150/155 then shouldn't I lose 145/140 so when I regain I am where we want to be? 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 8:12 am - MD
 Too thin...??? Just get a weighted umbrella and take your chances!
Cherylkas
on 1/6/12 11:37 am - PA
 at 145 you would only be at a bmi of 22 so dont freak out. I say get to your goal and then see how you feel. If you need to gain some then do it at that time. And like you said your body is gonna do what it is gonna do. even if you get below goal your body probably will bounce back some.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

royses1066
on 1/6/12 8:23 am
If you're anything like me, my PCP asked me to lose weight for years (HAHA). Of course that didn't happen consistently until WLS.  So, stick to your plan & lose the 5 (only 5) and try to level off.  You deserve to reach your goal. If you feel the weight is too low after you reach it, gain back to your CW.  It's not really a rebellion, it's more of a "ride the wave" while you can.  Most folks seem to gain a few lbs. back after the losing is easy & maintenance phase kicks in. PS, Congrats on doing so well!

Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 8:29 am - CA
 Thank you!  But this surgery has really done most of the work.  I can't believe how easy the weight comes off it you just follow the rules and having the surgery really helps you to stick to the rules.  There are a few things I need to get better at and stick to (vits and exercise) but over all it has been pretty easy to stick to this.

Laura in Texas
on 1/6/12 11:42 am
 Let's see how you feel in 2-3 years...

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lisa R.
on 1/7/12 12:11 am - CA
 Laura, I would tend to agree with you and I can't say that I am not some what worried what the future holds after goal is reached but I tend to think, for myself, that I am going to be ok for a few reasons.

First, I never got that magical "no hunger" thing.  I have fought hunger and craving from the moment I woke up in the hospital. Real hunger and head hunger, so I don't know if I will be one of those people who finds at 18 months out they are hungry all the time and they can't control it because I have already had to learn to do that.

Second, I never had a sweet tooth before surgery and now I have almost an uncontrollable urge for sweets, which I fight and win most of the time. I am learning how to trick the tooth so to speak, early out.

Finally, I weight myself everyday with out fail.  Some people avoid the scale, but not me.  I know exactly what I weight everyday, this holds me accountable if I have a "bad day" and it let's me know early if I need to adjust.  If I weight every day I will know I am gaining BEFORE I get close to a 20 lb regain.  

So...I know I am very new, and I know there i much coming that I have yet to find out, but I also think that some of the things that I have already got in check are going to come in handy in the future.

Zombie
on 1/6/12 9:00 am
You only live once, go for it! Get to your lifetime goal and say you did it. Don't live in the fear of not knowing. Another 5lbs will not kill you. If you got under 100lbs then I would start worrying. Do what makes you happy, I know I would.

~Paul~

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 77 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??