well I got my answer from the doctor today.....

timetoloveme62
on 12/29/11 10:49 pm - VA
It seems my system wont handle the protein drinks that I have been taking so I have to go find something called protein bullets.  Anyone ever heard of these?  Know where to get them?  anything about them?

poet_kelly
on 12/29/11 10:53 pm - OH
they are mostly collagen protein which we dont' absorb because it doesn't have all the amino acids we need.  They are a waste of money.  I really hate to hear your surgeon recommending them.

If you want a bunch of protein in a small amount of bad tasting liquid, you can make your own protein shots.  Just mix protein powder in three or four ounces of liquid.

Oh, I also know how those collagen protein shots are made.  They are made from the boiled skin and hooves of horses, cows and pigs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 10:57 pm
uhhh tthat's sounds disgusting "boiled skin, hooves or horses, cows and pigs"!  I hope you can find an alternative protein .  

Keeves
on 12/30/11 12:40 am - Elizabeth, NJ
>

Sounds like gelatin to me.

poet_kelly
on 12/30/11 12:47 am - OH
Yep, that's essentially what it is.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 12/29/11 11:04 pm - Germantown, MD
 Just curious, why won't your system handle protein drinks? Is it the type of protein, a sensitivity to ingredients? Can you get your protein in from food sources? I'd rather get my protein in from regular milk, even with all the lactose/carbs, than drink those horrendous bullets - aside from being ineffective, they're just plain yucky!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Thumbelina
on 12/29/11 11:10 pm - MI
 My husband had a g tube after his surgery and that's what the Dr had him put in his g tube three times a day.we got them ( the bullets) from GNC.. Thank God they were buy one get on free because they were 3.50 a piece with 27 grams of protein each .. He had to do this three times a day for three weeks.. The hospital did give him a lot of them before he can home.. I'm sure he was charged ..
timetoloveme62
on 12/29/11 11:17 pm - VA
 I just talked to 2 of my support group friends and both use these for protein and both have great numbers with their blood test.  I checked the website out about them and they are a "new whey protein", and according to my NUT are absorbed by us.  they are not the first choice but some patients don't tolerate certain proteins and we have to adjust until we find the right one.  This may be a temporary thing or not.  So I am off to GNC to get mine....
poet_kelly
on 12/29/11 11:21 pm - OH
The  New Whey brand actually contains only a small amount of whey.  Mostly they contain collagen protein.  Read the label.  If they were really all whey, why wouldn't they be the first choice?  And if you don't tolerate whey, why would you tolerate it in a more concentrated form?

Medley411
on 12/29/11 11:17 pm

GNC, should have them. They are nasty and not very good for you. 
Why don't you try out some Greek yogurts... they have nutritional value and usually have 12-14 gm of protein for much less money. 
You have to try them all out and see which ones taste the best.
There are not artificial colors and flavors in the yogurts. 
Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics