6 wk post op visit and labs!

Godgaveus2
on 11/21/11 6:26 am - WI
I had my 6 wk post op visit with my surgeon today and also had labs.  I am officially down 35 lbs since surgery which make 58 lbs total.  The surgeon said that I looked great.  I must say I feel great as well.  I so far have had no food aversions.  I feel very lucky as I know there are people who do not feel this good this far out.  He said my labs looked great.  I will list a couple so all you lab pro's can distinguish them for me.  I have a ton so if you don't see something important, let me know and I will see if I have that. 

Glucose 108- the only  one that says I am out of range. (Range 74-100)
Calcium 9.4 (8.4-10.2)
Platelet 227 (130-400)
B12 1000
Iron 88 (87-170)

Also, what would protein be listed under?  I do have lots more results, just didn't want to copy everything.  Any comments are appreciated!

HW 348, SW 326, CW 290, GW 150
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/21/11 8:20 am
108 for glucose is pretty good especially if you were not fasting.  A fasting glucose below 124 is considered non-diabetic.

Protein is listed as "Total Protein" or TP and should be in the 7's.

Winnie

Godgaveus2
on 11/21/11 8:30 am - WI

Thank you for your reply.  I was fasting before I had labs and I don't see the protein count on there.  I know they told me that a few of the tests had not come back yet because they had to be sent out so maybe that's why I don't have that number yet.

HW 348, SW 326, CW 290, GW 150
poet_kelly
on 11/21/11 8:38 am - OH
Your B12 is great.  Iron, you need to increase that some.  How much iron are you taking and what kind?  And did you get a ferritin level?

The calcium in your labs doesn't really tell you much because if you aren't consuming or absorbing enough calcium, you'll leach it out of your bones to keep the level in your blood good because if that level gets too low, your heart doesn't beat right and you die.  What you want to know is your vitamin D level, because if that is below 80 you won't absorb calcium well, and your PTH, because if that is high you usually are leaching calcium out of your bones.  So do you have those tests?

Protein would be listed as total protein or maybe just PT, under the comprehensive metabolic profile.  Should be near the calcium level.  Your albumin, which should be near the  total protein, also tells you about your protein intake.

Other vitamins and minerals that are good to check are B1 (thiamine), folate, vitamin A, zinc and copper.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tulips52
on 11/21/11 12:25 pm
 I'm glad you had a good check up!!! Wow, what fabulous weight loss, too!!! (I'm no where near that) :(

I seem to dislike so many of the foods...I am desperate for ideas. I really need to amp up my eating. (I drink most of my protein) 

Congrats!

newmerightnow
on 11/21/11 1:43 pm - AK
I know your happy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 248 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views