How long have you kept the weight off ?

sarah_durso
on 11/17/11 12:13 pm
 Hi All,  I've been considering RNY for a few years now. I've always wanted to try to lose it by non-surgery. Now I'm beginning to think this is the way to go. My concern is I see so many gain the weight back . How many of you have lost and maintained and for how long ?

lahairoi
on 11/17/11 12:30 pm
I'm curious and have the exact same predicament and questions too!  I'm brand new to this site, as of an hour ago, and I'm looking for the same type of information and support . .   I'm assuming if I reply to this I will hear of other's replies also?  Thanks for your post S. durso and I hope I can learn from it too! :)
TysCandi
on 11/17/11 12:37 pm
I haven't had my surgery yet its scheduled for 12/14, however my interpretation of why individuals regain so much weight my because they go back to eating the same foods that caused them to become obese in the first place. I have learned a lot since I began this process since the end of October. WLS is just a tool and if you are not willing to make the permanent lifestyle changes with this tool, then there's no purpose. But that's just my opinion, I sure the vets on here may be able to answer your question from their prospective. But just remember this whatever you put in to something is what you get out of it..

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

sarah_durso
on 11/17/11 12:43 pm
 Yes that's what's I've heard/read as well. I wanted to actually hear from those that have kept it off for years.  So many gain back. 
poet_kelly
on 11/17/11 3:51 pm - OH
When you say "so many gain back," what are you basing that on?  Like, do you know 20 people that had RNY and half of them gained a significant amount back, or what?  Or did you read a study about how many gain back, and how much did they gain on average?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/17/11 1:48 pm - OH
In 18 months I lost 148 lbs (putting me 18 lbs below goal).  I maintained that for one year and in the last six months gained about ten pounds back, probably due to a medication I had to take for a while that often causes weight gain.  I have not gained any in the past couple months.  And I am now just over three years out and still about eight pounds below goal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lianne C.
on 11/17/11 1:54 pm - Garden City, MI
In February I will be 3 years post-op. I lost 170lbs, I gained but because I had a baby, I have already lost 35 of the 70 I put on in pregnancy. It is not easy by any means to take it off, my weight loss tool still works, but I am nursing and it is taking it's sweet time coming off, but it is coming off. So I may not be the exact answer you are looking for.

The only thing I can say for sure is not to get into seeing what foods you can get away with eating. I was so scared of dumping that I stayed the straight and narrow path until pregnancy, all I could eat the whole pregnancy was Carbs.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
takqia1
on 11/17/11 7:41 pm
My Aunt gained all hers back and then some. My two friends three years out maybe ten lbs here and there but they get back on track.
I had my surgery this past October and even though my Aunt failed I decided it was her not using the tools. She failed at following the rules. This is not magic you have to still control your input and your exercise. If your not committed to that then surgery is a waste of money.
I want to live!
I cook completely different now my brain is focusing on proteins and exercise and yes it is coming off slower than I prayed for but I feel GREAT!
I take all 8 vitamins and drink all my fluids and follow the rules.
Dumping scares me and I hate puking so that so far has kept me on track.
It's just a tool its in your hands to work it correctly.
DebsGiz
on 11/17/11 7:42 pm - FL

I am just over three years post-op RNY.  I have lost all the weight I wanted to lose, am five pounds under the goal weight I set for myself, and have had no difficulty maintaining my weight loss.  I am 5'8" and weigh 135 today.  I usually fluctuate between 134 and 136. 

Most importantly, I feel terrific.  I am energetic and am just loving my new life. 
seashell6417
on 11/17/11 8:31 pm - Gaylord, MN
I had surgery in February 2009 and lost 120 lbs during the first year.  I was then diagnosed w/ thyroid cancer and had my thyroid and several lymph nodes removed, at which time my weight loss came to a screeching hault.  I spent a year or more working w/ my endocrinologist trying to get my TSH levels down and during that year gained 20 lbs.  Now that my thyroid hormone is in a more normal range I am maintaining and even losing when I make a conscious effort to do so.
Tami

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??