Hair loss help--Inositol

Dave Chambers
on 11/9/11 10:59 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Inositol has been discussed by my support groups for hair loss. Initially the topic was brought up by one RNY patient whose mom had some medical treatment that resulted in major hair loss.  Her doc put her on Inositol and the daughter "raved" about the her mom's hair growth in a short time.  My surgeon's nurse checked on it and it seems to help many with hair regrowth. BUT, she did also indicate that Inositol IS CONTRAINDICATED if you take bipolar medications.  The pills or capsules are more easily digested than the enteric coated pills.  250mg to 500mg daily.  For those of you suffering from major hair loss, Inositol may be worth some research.  It also appears to have a wide variety of usage in treatment of other health issues too. On a quick check, it's prices is inexpensive when you consider other hair loss remedies.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Nicole T.
on 11/10/11 12:31 am
wow i just read up on it and it may be useful for people with pcos, which i have. i have thinning hair because of my condition. it is a major issue for me. i feel so self conscious. i am lucky in that you usually can't tell just by looking but as i get older, i am afraid that will change. do you know what she takes specifically? brand wise?
on 11/10/11 3:35 am - OR
Ive never heard of it, but I aso have PCOS and have about 1/3 of the hair I used to. I am willing to try anything safe! Is this a RX or a supplement?

Dave Chambers
on 11/10/11 3:37 am - Mira Loma, CA
Brands were never discussed, just the word inositol. I did a quick Google search and it appears it's used for a wide variety of issue--PCOS, cancer recovery,depression, hair issues, etc.  I did check Puritan.com which has inexpensive vitamins and they have it. They carry multiple ones that are enteric coated (harder to digest for RNYers), a couple that are plain pills and a couple that are combined with choline bitratrate, which are not coated.  Woman that brough up initial comment had noted her mom was recovering from radiation therapy, and she had great success with inositol to assist her hair growth.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.

Dave Chambers
on 11/10/11 4:02 am - Mira Loma, CA
I'm unaware of any script forms of it. I did see on a couple of vitamin sites including puritan.com as noted in the post above.  Google inositol and there are quite a few links about how it's used. DAVE

Jenny_D
on 11/10/11 4:46 am - Canton, GA
Thanks for the information, Dave!

I have PCOS too, but I never knew there was a connection between my PCOS and the hair loss. I thought the hair loss was just from my RNY. It started when I hit 3 months out and at 5.5 months out it hasn't slowed. I noticed that I can now wrap a hair band 4x around my ponytail when it used to only go around 3x. It stinks.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Sara L.
on 11/10/11 4:48 am
I wonder what the dosage would be to help with hairloss?  Inositol is listed in the contents of my Bariatric Advantage Multivitamins....7.5 mg (total for two tablets).

on 11/10/11 9:35 am - OR
sorry for all the q's, Im newer.. Would these be ok? http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133313   or would we not be able to digest/break these down?

Dave Chambers
on 11/10/11 9:41 am - Mira Loma, CA
This is a newer topic to me also.  It doesn't appear that the GNC type is enteric coated, so if you are not bipolar, it should be fine.  In regards to the previous post about small dose in multi, I don't think it would do much for hair issues, PCOS, etc. It's just a small amount. DAVE

Loveshinesthru
on 11/10/11 9:54 am - Mesa, AZ
 Thanks Dave!

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

Most Active
Recent Topics