Considering RnY? Two words for you....

Amy R.
on 11/6/11 12:22 pm
                     REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA.

Please research this side effect that many surgeons STILL won't recognize as a side effect.  I am almost 3 years out and happy in almost every way with my little mutant RnY.  ALMOST every way.

The RH started rearing it's ugly head about a year ago, but it was sporadic, and basically mild.  I am to the point now where I have to plan my day around when I eat, and even THAT is not enough.  Most people think RH sets in only with sweets and carbs, but I've got a news flash for you.  I've had it happen after every stinking type of food you can think of.  It has now gotten to the point where I actually pass out.  I MISSED MOST OF MY DAUGHTERS BABY SHOWER YESTERDAY AND I HADN'T EATEN ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT A PROTIEN.  I was devastated and still can't believe I wasn't able to be there most of the time.

The fire dept has become my friend because sometimes it happens so quickly that I can't get to a laying down place/position fast enough and smack my head or other parts of my body on the floor on the way down.  It takes between an hour and a full 24 hour day to sleep it off.  I don't regret my surgery (yet) but I am rapidly heading down that road.  I have bought a glucose monitor and carry glucose tablets - both of which are useless if it's gonna keep hitting as quickly as it has been.  I can go from fine to passed out in 5 minutes and I am not exaggerating.  Most of the time now I get NO warning signs.  I'd dump a million times over for each episode I have of this - and would give anything to be able to make sense of what triggers it.  Until yesterday I was under the apparently mistaken assumption that it would not happen with protein.  Yeah, right.  Guess again.

Gonna try to find a more open, understanding doc tomorrow (yeah, I know, good luck with that). 

Sorry for the rant, but please, if you're gonna do the RnY dance, factor this in to  your decision.  It is debilitating.  I can't even have a reversal because they actually removed my remnant stomach due to bleeding ulcers and left me with only a little tiny bit of stomach which they fashioned into the RnY formation.  So I am screwed until I get a handle on this.  I pray that it won't happen when my daughter goes into labor.  Oh , and before you suggest just doing shakes for life- they've triggered it at times as well.

AAARRGH.  Losing 170lbs is worth it for now.  But I want EVERYONE who is considering this surgery to research and TALK to post ops, especially those like Beth (Melting Mama).

Good luck to all of you in whatever you decide.  Oh, and if you post to my post, please excuse me if I don't get back to you for a day or  so, haven't been able to spend much time on the computer lately.

My best wishes to pre-ops, post-ops and non-ops.  I just had to get this out there because I, for one, was not informed of this little gift that keeps on giving pre-op.
Ladytazz
on 11/6/11 12:34 pm
Are you sure it is RH?  Have you checked your blood sugar during these episodes?  I haven't heard about it being this severe.  It scares the death out of me.  I am like you, no remnant stomach so there is no turning back.  If I had known about the risk I would have defintely thought twice before getting this pouch.  It's bad enough that I dump unpredictably and on things I didn't think I would dump on.  I hate the thought of dealing with RH, too.
I hope there is some way you can get a handle on this.  Have you seen another doctor, maybe an endocrinologist?  It sounds like a miserable way to live.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amy R.
on 11/8/11 1:39 am
Hi Tazz.  Yep I'm sure.  I've finally gotten a doc to look into it seriously and I now have a confirmed diagnosis. 

I do test my blood sugar and am trying anything and everything to learn how to manage this.  It absolutely IS  a crap way to live.  I know there are ways to work around a lot of it (ie, the obvious, avoid simple carbs), but when the episodes come so unpredictably and the cause is not obvious it makes it damn near impossible.  What appeared to trigger (and I use that word loosely) was some plain sliced roast beef, a couple of slices of cheese, two bites of a croissant and 5 bites of watermelon.  I'm guessing the watermelon did it - but I've have had watermelon and just about every other fruit and never had a problem.  So who knows?

On days when it is imperative that I function without the possibility of having an episode, I go back to just drinking shakes for the duration - they are the only things that have been (almost) fool proof.

Just wanted to get the word out - especially to those like us who will have/do have no remnant stomach and no possibility for reversal.    I would likely have had to have my surgery anyway - at least the stomach removal part - due to chronic bleeding ulcers and pyloric valve stenosis causing many happy stays at the hospital with an ENG tube down my nose/throat.  Just wish I had  known more about this because I may have forgone the intestinal re-formation part.

Please, everyone, I'm NOT trying to talk anybody out of this surgery.  I just want folks to research where I didn't.  The surgery gave me back my life; even with this issue I feel the pluses out weigh the minuses.  Everyone has to make their own choice.  I just worry because it seems like sometimes we all get into the habit of thinking that the side effects won't happen to us and we'll all live happily ever after.  The truth of the matter in this  instance is that they are finding this complication occuring more and more with longer term RnY postops.

Take Care everyone=)

emt_amy
on 11/6/11 1:10 pm - MN
Im only 2 mo out and have had an episode of low blood sugar. I used to get them prior but drs won't listen to me. I got a meter tho so I'm keeping track. It's scary.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 10:49 pm - TX
What is the percentage of RNY patients who end up with RH? I've read about it here but not quite sure I understand it completely.

I am asking because my SIL is two years post RNY, and she's had two fainting episodes in the last month or so. She's been to the doc about it and her iron was a 3, and they believe that is the cause, but this has me thinking it could be something else.

What are the warning signs prior to passing out?
TxSuz
on 11/6/11 11:04 pm
 I am wondering if I have this. I have had two episodes in the last week of feeling very dizzy, sweaty, hot, flushed, shaky, jittery. I have to sit down or I feel like I am going to pass out. Looking back at what I ate could have triggered it, however I have had stuff to eat in the past that would by definition trigger it and it didn't. Anyway are these the symptoms you get?

Hope you find that doctor that will LISTEN!

-Suzanne

emt_amy
on 11/7/11 10:26 am - MN
You described the symptoms exactly. They are the symptoms of hypoglycemia. If you feel them again eat a carbs to get your sugar back up then a protein to stabilize it. I was able to get a meter thru my insurance, see if you can get one. That way you can check your blood sugar next time you are having symptoms.
TrueNorthFriend
on 11/7/11 10:57 am - Canada
 I'm not a doctor, or even a health care worker.... but I do know someone who has a heart condition (very rare - I can't remember what it is called) - she passes out w/o warning.  She had every kind of diagnosis for a few years (including you're crazy****il a cardiologist took a certain test on a whim - and BAM - there it was.    She always has to stay close to the ground because she has no warning of when it will strike.  She has long recovery periods.  It is linked to depression.  I surely hope it is NOT that for you.... but I certainly wouldn't assume it is RH.  You may have that as well, but it could be covering something else.  Don't mean to scare you - just suggesting that you look into it more deeply with a doctor you can trust to be thorough.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/7/11 11:25 am, edited 11/6/11 11:26 pm - OH
There is also an increase in regular hypoglycemia. Basically, one is a reaction AFTER you eat and the other is a reaction when you NEED to eat. I get very occasional (and mild) RH episodes if I do not combine protein and carbs in every meal or snack (but combining those two have almost eliminated these episodes). The regular hypoglycemia hits when I go more than about 4 hours without eating some type of small protein and carb snack. One cracker and an ounce of cheese is plenty to resolve the symptoms in just a few minutes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views