TMI #2 issues

Kristine E.
on 10/26/11 2:59 am - VA
RNY on 01/27/11 with
Since my surgery, I've had constipation issues. Now, I'm 18 weeks pregnant, and they're so much worse. I used to do daily miralax, but that's not working. Been trying daily colace, no luck. Now trying dulcolax nightly. I drink plenty of water. Metamucil males it worse. I need to go more than once a week, because when it goes that long i get a hemmorhoid flare I have to manually disimpact myself to get it going. I'm 29, I should not be so focused on my poo!
Ramie A.
on 10/26/11 3:12 am - Bronx, New York, NY
Talk to your doctor (either OB, PC, or surgeon).  I can't advise a pregnant woman but upping the dose of miralax would probably help.  Also, instead of disimpacting, try inserting a glycerine suppository.  That usually softens up the "stopper" to get everything moving.

Good luck!
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

Sue M.
on 10/26/11 4:09 am - Nantucket, MA
I would definitely talk to OBGYN and surgeon. Every day I manage to use:

Benefiber
5 colace pills at bedtime
Caffeine
Tons of water
exercise

If I skip any of these for more than a few days, everything goes to hell in a handbasket.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
poet_kelly
on 10/26/11 4:14 am - OH
I feel for you.  I've had to do the manual disimpaction thing and you know you're in bad shape when that starts to sound like a good thing!

Magnesium oxide helps many people.  I take 500 mg a day.  I think I'd check with your doc since you're pregnant just to make sure that's OK for you, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Do you get much fiber in your diet?  How about fat?  Have you noticed any certain foods make it worse?  Keeping a food diary for a couple weeks might help you notice if there are some foods that make it worse and some that make it better.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LosingSally
on 10/26/11 4:41 am
You need to increase the fat in your diet. I know some people may have diarrhea after too much fat, but I'm thinking that won't be the case with someone who is constipated daily.
You may find that you have to go immediately when you wake up, but if there is an oil sheen in the pot, you'll know the fat is helping, and you're not absorbing it as much as you might fear.
Best wishes.
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/11 5:40 am

I use magnesium. You may be really lacking or really low on magnesium.
Our body needs magnesium. I do not believe that there is an issue with magnesium and pregnancy - but make sure and ask you doc.

http://www.calmnatural.com/magnesium-pregnancy

BTW: initially the mag may not work - but as you r body would replenish the magnesium storage - you may get great results in BM
I take 1200-1500 mg mag daily. most - mag oxide, and most days I take close to 1200-1500.
Magnesium that is not absorbed - ends up in the colon, and allows for a very easy BM.
It is great for muscles, relaxes the muscles... helps with cramps... all over the body...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Onmyweightohappine
ss

on 10/26/11 6:08 am - Houston, TX
Magnesium Oxide works for me. I take two daily and go every single day. Thanks to the ladies on here that advised it, tried and been working ever since for me!
 Follow my blog at:
onmyweightohappiness.blogspot.com/                             

Cheryl N.
on 10/26/11 6:34 am - Des Moines, WA

Sorry for a dumb question but what is "manually disimpact" ? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

jazzycatz
on 10/26/11 7:19 am - Joppa, MD

It's basically gloving up, using some lubricant and going in...well manually.  Feces becomes impacted in the lower colon and if suppositories or enema's do not work to remove it you are left with manual disimpaction.  Often done by a health care worker but you can do it to yourself.

Recent Topics