DId you have a Central Line???

Sheree_L
on 10/25/11 9:02 am - AR
  Please tell me your experances. I have one in and my husband and I need to know what to expect from it. We have not read very good things about it, yet the DR and the nurses have all prased about it. 
Proud Coastie Wife and Momma of a beautiful almost 2 year old daughter.  
Not only am I doing this for MYSELF but I am doing it for them also. I love you guys!

HW: 288 (303 pregnant)  SW: 268  CW: 196 GW: 160 -170 
facethemusic
on 10/25/11 9:08 am
I have one in because I'm on TPN.  It's annoying sometimes, but I've had it since July with no issues.  It's convienient when you have an emergency and they need IV access.  It is nice not being stuck.  You do have to be aware that there is an open port to your body and that means there is an added risk for infection.  Make sure whoever lays hands on it has gloves on and has washed their hands.  Why did you have a central line put in?
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

NanaRose142
on 10/25/11 12:14 pm - TX
Why did you have to have a reversal?
Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I got older.    
Sheree_L
on 10/28/11 11:37 am - AR
 I didn't have a reveral, I was in the hospital getting my RNY done for the 1st time. Woke up with a central line. 
Not only am I doing this for MYSELF but I am doing it for them also. I love you guys!

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 9:51 am - Memphis, TN
Generally they're put in on people who are difficult to start IVs on. They, generally, are great for hospital staff because, generally, you don't have to worry about whether or not it works. Best if used short term. Long term use is more likely to lead to infections so, as the PP stated, make sure everyone who touches it is sanitized, gloved and cleaning it before attaching anything to it.
YankeeRose
on 10/25/11 10:03 am - Meadville, PA
I have a port, it is called a port-a-cath. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years. They used mine when I had my RNY surgery in June. However, they also put in a traditional IV (when I was in the OR) because the anesthesiologist wanted a back-up. I have to have it flushed every month.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Sheree_L
on 10/28/11 11:40 am - AR
 Thank you for all your replys. I work up from RNY surgery Monday afternoon with it in. It was scary. But they took it out as soon as I was discharged. The Dr said... (at discharge) that they do it to all of thier RNY  patients. I said well that would have been nice to know before hand! 
Thanks again guys!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 239 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??