Need some encouragement

truthbenaked
on 10/26/11 2:18 am
I am 9 days post op and I have only lost 5 pounds. I know I shouldn't compare but it really doesn't seem correct.
Ramie A.
on 10/26/11 2:24 am - Bronx, New York, NY
Hi, and welcome to the loser's bench!!  Trust me, you will not be the only person in the wide world who doesn't lose weight in the first month after RNY!

But please tell us a little more about your story.  You're right, 5 lbs seems a little low, but you may be retaining water from surgery still.  Did you gain something like 10 lbs in the hospital and then lose it in the first few days home?  What kinds of foods are you eating and drinking?  Are you following your NUT or Doctor's diet plan?  Did you lose any weight pre-op? 

Give us more information so we can offer some advice.

Good luck to you
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

truthbenaked
on 10/26/11 3:51 am
I did not lose any weight before surgery and really focused on not gaining or having too many "last meals". I was also particularly careful 5 days before to not eat very fatty food. I went in at 263 and came home at 267. I have followed my post op instructions beginning stage two when I got home. Three shakes a day at 27 grams protein each, oatmeal snack for 6 and broth snake for 5 has kept me at 92 grams of protein. The nutritionist said to shoot for 60 as having one scoop of protein powder was an option for those who could not handle two. However, I have not had trouble eating anything (except lactose milk) and have heard that keeping protein up the first two weeks helps to prevent, or minimize, hair loss later.

Now that I have started stage 3, puree foods, I am concerned about the drop in protein. However, I am scared of eating too much. Just flip-lopping all over the place. Can I really screw this whole thing up on liquid/puree foods?
poet_kelly
on 10/26/11 4:02 am - OH
Weight loss in the first few weeks really varies.  Some people drop huge amounts, like 20 pounds in two weeks.  Others don't.  There are lots of things that affect it.  If you lost a lot on your pre op diet, you might not lose as much right after surgery.  But mostly, your body is in shock from the surgery.  How much weight you lose in the first week or two has no bearing at all on your overall success.  I really think most people are happier if they stay off the scale in the beginning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jody H.
on 10/26/11 5:26 am - Des Moines, IA
 I agree with Kelly.     Try to stay off the scale for awhile and instead focus on healing and being compliant with your doctor's program.   

The weight will take care of itself in the long run. 
dori M.
on 10/26/11 6:34 am - MD
this is my 3rd day post op and I've actually gained over 10 pounds. On Monday when I went to the hospital I weighed 254 today when I came home I weighed 268 go figure
Mandy R.
on 10/26/11 8:07 am - Callahan, FL
I work in an OR and anesthesia personnell usually gives you a lot of fluids during surgery, you can also be swollen from the surgery.  Don't worry just keep up with your prescribed diet :)

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics