Cigarettes are EVIL!!!!!!

jenysez1
on 10/21/11 5:12 am - LA
I had to stop smoking for my surgery, stopped over 6 mths ago.  Over the past 2 weeks I have been sneaking some puffs here and there.  I cant believe I did it again.  I am only smoking like 1-3 cigarettes a day, but I have to stop.  My doctor said it causes bleeding in the stomach b/c nicotine constricts blood vessels and the blood vessels are already constricted after the surgery.  I went buy some sugar free gum and hard candy and try to kick this small habit again.  Bad thing is when I quit smoking all I wanted to do was eat, cant do that now either.  I feel so depressed and like a failure, I was stressed out about my husband being unemployed and caved.  Now he just started a new job and it is time to get my **** together.  Any words on advice to kick even a small habit.

Jenny

Mara C.
on 10/21/11 5:20 am - Millbury, MA
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt....

You can do it.  For me, the only way was cold turkey... just have to suffer threw the cravings - they pass.  Honestly, the cravings only lasted a matter of minutes, then it passes.  I would give myself a facial, floss and clean my teeth, call a friend, clean...etc.  Just get threw the detox period and it get's better. The main thing is I felt stronger and better about myself everyday I went w/o smoking.

My husband is doing it with the electric cigarette, he loves it.  He's been using is for a month now.  It looks like a cigarette and the smoke is actually vapor.  I think it cost him like $65 online.  He still get's nicotine (like patch, gum) but none of the toxins.  He will have to kick that eventually.  But, I am so proud of him thus far.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
jenysez1
on 10/21/11 5:34 am - LA
I did cold turkey before, so that is what I am planning again.  Good luck to your hubby.  I know a lot of people who do the electronic cigarette.  I just didn't want to even try that b/c I would still be getting the nicotine, so cold turkey it will be for me.

Thanks Jenny

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/21/11 5:30 am - Baltimore, MD
Yes, yes they are. We are always telling folks not to demonize things but in this case...demonize away!

You can do it!!!
jenysez1
on 10/21/11 5:35 am - LA
Nik you arent ever lying....I know I just have to put my mind to it.

Jenny

Dave Chambers
on 10/21/11 6:53 am - Mira Loma, CA

Mayrbe this will help:  2 people in one of my support groups stopped smoking prior to surgery. BUT, they both began smoking again post op. They both ended up with ulcer surgeries. These surgeries are far more difficult to recover from than just the RNY surgery.  The man was about 50 and spoke about how difficult his recovery from ulcer surgery was. The 23 year old woman had treatment for her ulcer. She did not stop smoking. She was back in the hospital again. She was discharged. A month later, she was diagnosed with 6 bleeding ulcers.  Surgical repairs done.  I saw her at a meeting shorly thereafter, and she appeared fine. 2 months later, her dad (RNY patient too) was at the support group without his daughter. I asked how she was. She has mulltiple ulcers again.  All because of smoking.. Don't even smoke a litte.   DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jenysez1
on 10/21/11 12:23 pm - LA
Dave nothing like the scare tactic,  I thought maybe my doctor was over cautioning, but I see now it is serious.  I need that tactic.  thanks Jenny

Dave Chambers
on 10/21/11 2:45 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Nothing made up here, these are actually two people in one of my support groups. Another guy in a 2nd group had his surgery cancelled 2 years ago for chewing tobacco.  He did well after he finally got his surgery. But at a support meeting a few months ago, he mentioned a "jaw issue" and undergoing chemo. He didn't say so, but I have a bad feeling he has issues caused by the nicotine of chewing tobacco. DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

rebeccaj
on 10/21/11 7:25 am - Bowling Green, KY
 It is so funny you posted this today,  I  stopped before my surgery too,  I have been quit almost 6 weeks, and today I would have sold a kidney for ONE cigarette!  Thankfully a friend of mine threatened to beat me down in a parking lot if i smoked one  LOL.  It is so hard to quit and even harder to stay quit!  I stopped cold turkey and pray everyday that I stay that way.  Good luck,  I totally know what it feels like to give up some of our favorite things...ie, smokey treats, food, etc.  But all in all it is for our long term health!

jenysez1
on 10/21/11 12:26 pm - LA
Rebecca, That's how I started back, oh what would I give for one puff, then it was 2 puffs, then that lead to about 3 cigarettes a day.  I would take 2 puffs, put it out and re light it later and take a few more puffs.  today I through the pack out....now I just need to stay clear of sneaking my husbands.....he is working on stopping too, which would be much easier on me.

Jenny

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 248 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views