Post-Op Workouts (Ideas???)

ericc11964
on 10/20/11 1:08 am - NY
 Any one out there have any good workout advice/routines??  Currently I do 3 1/2 miles five times a week.  I started out walking and now I'm actually jogging them.  I don't remember the last time I ever jogged.  I also currently do resistance band training 3 days a week for about 1/2 hour at a time.  Just looking to see what other people are doing and looking to change things around a bit.  Let me know!!

Thanks

CHELLEYGIRL
on 10/20/11 1:24 am - PALMDALE, CA
I do the walking( i cant stand the thought of running ) and yesterday i bought Zumba for the WII, and I cant wait to start that!!! (This way i can look like a complete fool at home!! haha). Have a great day!!

Michelle

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

melizabeth
on 10/20/11 1:37 am - CA
Eric, you could check to see if they have any walking/jogging clubs in your area and maybe prepare for a 5k, 10k race etc.  I love to cycle but have a bum knee right now.  So you could also look into a cycling club.  Kickboxing sounds fun to me - but maybe expensive.  My daughter has lost 25lbs. by joining a swim club.  She swims an hour each day at lunch (very inexpensive) in a heated pool with a great trainer.  She even swam her first race in the La Jolla (ocean) swim a month ago for a mile.  It made me a nervous wreck but she felt so good after completeing her task.  Hope you might try one of these ideas.  Good Luck!

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

tamara55
on 10/20/11 1:40 am
My routine was initially Curves then I created my own home plan. I work out on home gym (Bowflex) for 20+ minutes then I go for a jog afterwards. I was up to 2.5 miles but slacked off  the last couple months and am working my way back. After that, I take dogs on a long walk. I used to run with them but they slow me down and even tripped me once. Luckly I was on grass and no one was looking. Good thing I remembered how to tuck and roll!

I have to say, I toned up pretty fast when I initially started my workout program. I"ve since reduced it but I would spend 50 minutes doing this interval routine:

30 seconds of burst running on mini-trampline 
30+ seconds of Bowflex workout
I'd go back and forth for 30-50 minutes eventually decreasing running and increasing reps and sets. Then I'd go for a long, fast walk with dogs.
It beat the crap out of me but I found bones and curves I haven't felt in decades!
Hillery82211
on 10/20/11 1:47 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I do a bunch of different stuff because I get bored easily. Also, I've been reading that muscle confusion and varying your workout gets better results because your body doesn't get into a routine.

1.  Zumba 2x a week (usually Tuesday and Thursday)
2.  bicycle 3x a week ( M, W, F)
3.  water aerobics (sat and Mon)
4.  Kettle-bell workout 45 min 2-3x a week (whatever days I have the energy to do it after my regular workout)
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
notagain
on 10/20/11 1:48 am
I take spin class at my gym, treadmill at a super high incline and low pace (burns fat), take weight classes and ride my bike.
~KRIS
Band - 1/28/2008,  Revision - 9/16/2011, Ht - 5'9 
HW-335/Band SW-310/ Revision SW-285/CW-236

Paul C.
on 10/20/11 1:56 am - Cumming, GA
As you increase your speed also try to increase your distance.

Your body becomes efficient at performing the same activity over time.  This is why there are different types of runs you can do in place of just getting on a treadmill and going X distance.

If you enjoy the TM here are a couple different ideas

Interval Runs  (Typically Time and Reps rather than distance)

For me it is like

5 min @ 6mph
5 min @ 6.5 mph
and 4 reps  which gives me a 40 minute run

Pyramid

.25 miles @ 6mph
.25 miles @ 6.1mph
.25 miles @ 7mph
.25 miles @6.9 mph
.25 miles @ 6mph

These numbers aren't exact but just an example

I would start working weights in to your routine build back some muscle by targeting specific muscle groups and have a routine you follow.

Mon Biceps/Chest
Tues Legs
Weds Core
Thurs Tri and Back

as a guy don't be afraid to go heavy (just don't hurt yourself)  by staying with low reps and heavy weights you will initially start to recover and build some muscle fairly quickly, just don't over do it and be sure to give your body time to repair between sessions so never work the same muscle multiple days in a row.

Spin Class is an awesome and very individual workout even when done in a class.  In a spin class you have total control of how much effort you put in how much resistance you apply.  You will get out what you put in.  Just remember that not all spin classes are created equal.  you want to start out with a class that is fairly enty level.

Martial Arts are a heck of a workout but what you get out of it exercise wise depends on the intensity of the class.  Kick Boxing is going to result in a harder workout than Tai-Chi.

Join a coed adult sports league Softball, soccer, kick ball heck some places have dodge ball!

The secret is to find something you like and go for it.  Don't limit yourself to things you couldn't do before, because you will be amazed at what you can do now.  Hell last year I couoldn't run and recently finished my first Half Marathon, and YES I loved every freaking painful minute of it.

Go have fun!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
ericc11964
on 10/20/11 2:47 am - NY
Thank you everyone for the ideas.  They are all great.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 0 views
Recent Topics