Just overweight!

Used2Bthin
on 10/11/11 2:18 am - Canada
Well, I have been missing from this board for a bit and thought I would give an update.  I have learned many things about myself from having weightloss surgery.  First thing,  When I was "Morbidly Obese"  I thought I was happy.   I had friends, I felt confident.  I thought if you dont like how I look, dont look at me.  6 months after surgery I have lost over 100 pounds and I am just in the overweight category.  I now know what it is to be happy, What it is to be confident!  I realize now that I was not happy before but I was just getting by.  It was a state I was in for so many years that I did not know the difference.  I got my perfomance appraisal at work, and the main comment that struck me was my boss noted I came to life this summer.  She was not sure what made the change but I was confident and a leader.  It is not the weightloss itself that made the difference but when you are not focussed on not looking fat, you can focus on so much more.

I have made new friends and I am willing to put myself out their more.  I have way more energy and doing the small things like picking stuff off the ground is no longer a chore.  I have been recently fascinated with the fact that not only do I have a neck and a collar bone but I also have a ribcage.  I have not seen that since high school!

I have also found out that there are many people that when you start say they are going to support you, but slowly you find out that they are not really that supportive.  People who say things like, you took the easy way out.  For anyone who has had this surgery, we all know this is not an easy road to travel, and it is a life long change.  Also, I went from here fat jokes to jokes about "if you turn sideways, you might disapear".  Not that is is insulting but it is annoying that people are so interested in my weightloss.  Oh ya, I also here the "is it healthy", "you need to eat more" comments.  The I am concerned!  I almost asked "Were you concerned I would have a heartattack when I was bigger"

At the end of the day, I figure if that is my biggest problem, I am a very lucky person.  I have so much of my future to look foward to.  I am happy at the thought of a future.  I have so many dreams now, I have started making long term goals both work and personal.  I have even for the first time in years started to think about dating!

I still dont drink enough water, and I still dont get in all my protien some days, but I live in the real world.  It will be something I struggle with for the rest of my life but it is a good struggle.  I like the new me and the person I am becoming.  In my early days after surgery, this board helped me out so much so I would like to thank all of you for the support, advice and encouragement.  I want to say good luck to those who have had the surgery and for those who are thinking about it as well.  It is not the easy choice.  You give up alot but the rewards are wonderful.

So I have also been looking up my info on my BMI.  I went from Morbidly obsese to overweight.   Sometimes I think the BMI think is a load of bull!  I am 145 and I am still in the overweight catigory.  I try not to get to wrapped up in the numbers, or the BMI.  I am happy with how I look in clothing now.  I can by them in any store, even the "skinny people" stores as I used to call them when I walked by.  I am not happy about the skin that saggs on my arms but again, small price to pay for the health I have been given.  I know I will have a much longer life and a much healther one as well. 

Well that is my update to all.  Have a great day!
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Jenny_D
on 10/11/11 3:08 am - Canton, GA
Thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on your success!

We had very similar starting weights and there is no way I am going to lose 100 pounds in 6 months. You are rocking your tool!

BTW...you need to change your user name to "Used2Bobese".
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

jobeth
on 10/11/11 6:15 am - FL

Wow!  What an inspirational story!  I have touched all the experiences you shared here and can ID with them all.  I've gotten the "turn sideways and you'll disapear" comments and the "are you sure you aren't going to lose too much weight?"  or the "I'd be afraid to to THAT to myself".

I also started out .5 lbs below SUPER Obese and now I am .5 lbs above Overweight.  I am now in a size 10 abd still obeses...lol.  I think I agree with your comment on the BMI can be bull...at least at the lower end.  But no problem.  I know my goal weight is within reach and I'm still lossing.

I loved your comments!  Good for you and continued success!  (For both of us!...and the rest of our co-members)

jobeth...            
nfarris79
on 10/11/11 7:07 am - Germantown, MD
 When you've gone from MO to "just overweight", the weight has figuratively and literally been taken off! Congrats on your achievement and keep on believeing in & loving yourself!!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Joanne M.
on 10/11/11 7:51 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
I can relate to so much of what you have written.  It takes a long time for your mind to catch up to your body.  It still shocks me - at almost 7 months - that this is my new life.  I feel more alive than I ever did. 

There is also so much pride.  I tend to try to downplay any attention or make sure I'm not flauting it.  I'm still very sensative to others that have a weight problem.  Most likely because I still feel like 320 but I'm really 198.  No one every teaches you how to act or react once surgery is over.

But I congratulate you because you have fought your demons and will continue to do so everyday.  No easy way out there.

Thanks for share.

Joanne

Most Active
Recent Topics