18 months post surgery question / need opinions

Kim5515
on 10/3/11 1:38 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hey everyone...  I'm 18 months post gastric bypass, have maintained 170 pound weight loss and been at my goal (my body chose my goal, can't get below it) for about a year now.  My surgeon has retired and handed me over to his other office staff. 

I go in every 3 months, pay the $45 copay, I get weighed, they pat me on the back, ask if I have any questions and I leave for another 3 months.  Every other visit, I get a blood worksheet to take to my primary care physician, who takes blood and analyzes the tests.  I am usually low on vitamin B and K, so ramp that up.  It's very predictable.

My question is how long do I keep going back to the surgeons office?  Shouldn't my PCP be able to handle any issues I may have in the future?

What has been the experience with the folks who are post surgery?

By the way, for those of you who are just getting started on this process, GOOD FOR YOU. Best thing I ever did and my only regret is not having the surgery years earlier.

Thanks!  Kim

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

Ladytazz
on 10/3/11 1:53 am
Every 3 months after the first year seems a bit excessive but on the other hand it may be helping keep you on track so I would guess that is up to you.
If you are having no ongoing issues I don't see why you can't just have your PCP follow up and go in to your surgeon's office for yearly updates.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Rebecca G.
on 10/3/11 3:22 am - Wilmington, NC
I went at 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, one year, and I'm going back in 3 weeks for my two year. I think that will be my last time.

laura_vermont
on 10/3/11 4:21 am
I found out recently that my surgeon will be leaving the practice this month -- so I'm taking the opportunity to just have my pcp do my labs / follow-up.  And, if I have issues, I hope that the bariatric center near me will do follow-up. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

poet_kelly
on 10/3/11 5:24 am - OH
My PCP orders my labs every six months.  I just take her a list of what I need done.  I don't know why you'd need to see anyone every three months.  And your PCP can order you labs for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 10/3/11 3:38 pm - Suffern, NY
IT depends on what they are doing for you.  Are you seeing a nutritionist? IF there is really no value for you, then you really don't need to go there that often.  Your PCP should be able to do your labs.  I go to my Surgeon and NUT yearly, if I want to see the NUT every 6 months I can or if I need her more often, I can do that too. I have my labs done at my Endocrinologists office.  I wouldn't want to stop seeing the surgeon altogether because I want him to follow me and then if I have troubles, I have who to call.

Most Active
Recent Topics