Flax Seed???

Godgaveus2
on 9/30/11 11:58 am - WI
Hey all, I bought some flax seed today for the first time ever and I was wondering what to really do with it.  Can you just mix it in stuff, does it change consitency, does it have flavor?? Please enlighten me on this "super food" that I hear so much about.  Thank you.
Ladytazz
on 9/30/11 12:01 pm
I have used it a few times.  I have heard that you have to grind it up before use.  There is a recipe around here for minute muffins using flax meal and an egg that is very good.
I also use it as a filler for meat loaf or you can add it to oatmeal.
Just be careful because it is very high in fiber and some people get plugged up from it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Debra P.
on 9/30/11 12:33 pm - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I use it whole.  I brew tea with it, I put it in salad, homemade bread and muffins and actually it doesn't plug you up, it makes you go !!  It is great at keeping me regular and it makes your hair shiney!!

betterme2014
on 2/22/16 2:16 pm - Canada

how soon post-op can you start to use it? I used it pre-op often. I'm constipated and would love to use it again. I'm 3 weeks post-op sleeve. TIA

rebeccaj
on 9/30/11 12:47 pm - Bowling Green, KY
I read some time ago that you did need to grind it up to get the benefits from it!  Google it.  I personally like it in yogart... doesn't habe much, if any of a flavor. 

lilbear412
on 9/30/11 2:45 pm - MN
 Either..you can grind it up and use it in things..(meatloaf is a good idea).  Or use it as a seed in things..oatmeal, yogurt, etc...and its good for you.  I was reading up on it a few years back..i bought some but didn't use it much.  need recipes.  lol  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Blondie76
on 9/30/11 2:48 pm - AL
You do need to grind it to get the health benefits from flax, your body doesn't break the seeds down whole. It's a great fiber supplement if your body tolerates it. It does plug some people up, even with drinking a lot of water. If you want the one minute muffin recipe, let me know and I'll send it to you. Personally, I make mine with almond flour and just a bit of flax, much better taste and texture if you ask me. There's also a hot cereal people make with it that is good for breakfast. Not bad with some milk and splenda.
lilbear412
on 9/30/11 3:46 pm - MN
 yeah do send me the recipe...i know i used to take fiber pills (chewables) everyday and they really did help my messed up body. lol  I know whole grains are good for us so flax is good too.  I used to get some really good flax seed bread in a store in SD where i lived.  But haven't seen it here and i can't quite find a recipe to duplicate it.  thanks for the muffin recipe.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

hlacy
on 10/1/11 2:57 am - Chandler, AZ
I love to make crackers with the seeds. It's a healthy subsititute for grain crackers. Flax helps keep things "moving"...   Here's a good cracker recipe!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/flaxcrackers.htm
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Godgaveus2
on 10/1/11 5:48 am - WI
Thank you for the link.  They sound great and get awesome reviews.  I am going to make some today.  Thanks again!

Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 267 views