Hemoglobin A1c

carvanz
on 9/29/11 5:56 am - Mart, TX
Okay, I received the report from my blood work back and my Hemoglobin A1c was 6.2.  I didn't even know what this was for so I googled it and I understand that it is to check for sugar in the blood.  Oh my!  What does this number mean?  Help!  I feel confused and unsure.  I thought for sure the RNY would save me from following in my mom's footsteps of diabetes!  I am 3 years postop and doing pretty well I think.  Can anyone offer any advice/help/suggestions?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  

KatCooper
on 9/29/11 6:09 am - Collierville, TN
 Basically a A1C  shows what your blood glucose levels have been for the past 3 months.  Normal rage is generally considered 4-5.9%   Have you spoken to your Doctor/healthcare person about it?  They may have you check your fasting blood sugar levels a few mornings or may start you on medications.  While obesity is known to be a contributing factor to diabetes, there are other factors as well.  I would talk to your provider and also see a diabetes educator.  You may be able to change you diet and increase you excercise and see that number come into a normal range.  Most of all, dont panic!!  Your number are not horrible, and you are much better off knowing what they mean and dealing with them.

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Hillery82211
on 9/29/11 6:29 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm not sure your ethnic background, but a high A1c can also be an indicator that you carry the sickle cell trait.  I kept having really high A1c levels pre-op but my fasting blood sugars were always well below the danger zone of the high 90s (mine would be like mid 70s).  Finally my doctor had me tested and turns out I carry the recessive trait for sickle cell anemia.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
glzgowlass
on 9/29/11 7:08 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Are you eating refined carbs/sugars?  I have type 2.  If I don't eat carbs my sugar is fine, but if I eat breads, pasta etc it skyrockets.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

axlebart2
on 9/29/11 7:50 am - CA
AC-1..I was at a 16 and sugar was 600 plus and never knew, I HAD A RAPID WEIGHT LOSS OF 60 LBS AND A UNQUNCHABLE THIRST 2 mos before this and and continued to be in denal of reason until my ex had a meter and tested me only because I though it would be cool to check and thats how I found out about type 2 diabetes and why spent a week in Hospital that was a year and a half ago since tested twice and now (before operation which was on 9/26/11) am at 6.0! At
post operation discharge surgeon said only take blood pressure med and pepsad(sp?) so currently off Diabetes medication and I was told to continue to check 3 or 4 times a day. I avg 85 sugar and spike at 94 so far I crave carbs but refuse to give in carbs should come from fruits and veggies only(at this point I can't have either) anyway I can image even eatting breads or pastas, rice  after this operation!
i run the 94 sugar when I have not eatting anything!
hang in their!!
jack 
glzgowlass
on 9/29/11 11:10 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
OMG those numbers are crazy!  I thought mine was bad at 350.  Like you though, I left the hospital without my diabetes meds.  My sugar averages around 110 to 120 at the moment.  I don't check everyday.  I don't worry about it too much because I don't eat anything that will trigger sugar spikes.  Like you, I no longer eat bread, pasta etc.   I just check every couple of days and it's been fine.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

exohexoh
on 9/29/11 8:35 am - West Chester, PA
 thanks for asking, this one was on my labs with no normal range. mine was a 5.2

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views