Should I be taking B12 pre-op

Liz J.
on 9/26/11 11:21 am - Woonsocket, RI
Did you? Do you wish you had?
Eliza55
on 9/26/11 11:27 am - PA
Have you had your first set of labs done yet?  I needed them prior to my initial consult with my surgeon.  That should tell you if you're deficient in B12 (D3 is another common deficiency that might be noted)
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Carol M.
on 9/26/11 11:30 am - TX
Sublingual B12 is a good thing anytime.  I have been taking it for years.  There is no known toxicity to it.  What the body can't use it excretes. While levels can't be too high, many problems (mostly neurologic and many times irreversible) can result from levels being too low. Do some independent research on the importance of B12.
Carol , East Texas
Liz J.
on 9/26/11 11:36 am - Woonsocket, RI
I am not deficient in B12 and am no longer deficient in vitamin D. Im planning to start a Multi and Calcium with D now [pre-op] and didnt know if I should take B12 too. I will ask my NUT and surgeon.
crystal C.
on 9/26/11 11:40 am - lynn, MA
I was told to start taking pre op, ask your nut they will tell you what they want you on.
poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 11:46 am - OH
If your B12 level is around 1000, you don't need to but you can if you want.  It won't hurt you.  If your B12 level is below 1000, then yeah, I would start taking it now.

What's your vitamin D level, when you say you're not deficient anymore?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Liz J.
on 9/27/11 11:38 am - Woonsocket, RI
25 OH 29 CL
poet_kelly
on 9/27/11 11:46 am - OH
I'm not sure what OH and CL mean, but if your vitamin D level is 25 or 29, you are very deficient.  If your vitamin D level is below 80, you are at increased risk for things like osteoporosis, heart disease and some kinds of cancer.  Your immune system won't function as well as it should, either.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Liz J.
on 9/27/11 11:55 am - Woonsocket, RI
I dont understand.... My PCP even took me off the 50,000 iu prescription Vitamin D.. Maybe Im reading the lab print out wrong..

Thank you for responding. I will ask my Dr again at my next appointment.
poet_kelly
on 9/27/11 11:59 am - OH
You may be reading the report right.  Most labs use very low normal ranges for vitamin D, usually something like 30-100, even though there is research showing we need our D level to be at least 80.  Your PCP might not be familiar with that research and might be just going by the normal range the lab uses.

The prescription D, by the way, is D2 which is not absorbed well at all.  D3 works much better.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views