Fear of Regain.....

ladybugnessa
on 9/21/11 6:12 am - Owings Mills, MD
Old topic.. new member...

guys I'll be two years out from RNY tomorrow.... can't believe it's been two years...

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift June 23 lost 5 more pounds
I had a perforated ulcer repair August 2, lost 10 more pounds and got down to around 135

I was a lightweight at 256.  I hoped to lose 100 pounds.   I'm hanging around 135-140 now without ANY effort....

of course I crave things like cottage cheese, fruit, and salad but I'm not opposed to ice cream now and then either....

I weigh myself daily but don't get nutso about it... but more and more as I get farther and farther out I find myself scared to death of the day the scale starts to creep up.

I saw my Bari. social worker yesterday and she feels that I'm FINE... that I follow the IMPORTANT rules

1. protein first (100g per day or so)
2. never drink and eat at the same time do not drink 30 minutes after surgery
3. take my supplements
4. exercise (right now still off of exercise due to the surgeries this summer)

I swear the first time I see a morning weigh in over 140 I may lose my mind.

talk to me....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

poet_kelly
on 9/21/11 6:19 am - OH
I hear you.  I'm almost three years out and was down to 122 (goal was 140) and then recently tried a new antidepressant and gained eight pounds.  Now, I think weighing 130 is just fine for me.  But seeing the numbers on the scale go up was very scary.  I was afraid I was just going to keep getting bigger and bigger.  Like I felt before I had surgery.

I am now on a lower dose of that med and seem to be holding steady at 130 but I am a little anxious now when it comes time to get on the scale.

I think it makes sense that we are scared of regaining.  I mean, look at all we went through to get down to this weight?  And we all have histories of losing weight only to gain it back again.  And we have histories of being unable to get the weight off even when we tried really  hard.  If I gained weight back, even though I still have some restriction due to my pouch, since I don't have as much restriction as I had right after  surgery and I don't have much malabsorption anymore, would I ever be able to get it off again?  Wouldn't it be almost as hard as trying to diet and lose weight before surgery?

It is scary.  I can't tell you how to not be afraid of it.  I think what we need to do, though, is to acknowledge the fear and then put our energy into doing the things we know work.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ladybugnessa
on 9/21/11 6:30 am - Owings Mills, MD
OH Kelly you are always the voice of reason.

I think that 8 pounds is ok... still will keep me under my "original final goal" which was around 150-155  would render most of my clothes unwearable...

I wonder if I have malabsorption any more. I mean if I don't I'm happy because I'm maintaining.... and yet pissed cause I could have had the sleeve then.. who knows what to  think or feel even...
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

poet_kelly
on 9/21/11 6:36 am - OH
It's my understanding that we will probably always have some malabsorption, just not very  much after a couple of years.  I feel certain I still malabsorb fats to a degree because, well how can I put this delicately?  Did you know that when poop floats, it's because it has lots of fat in it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ladybugnessa
on 9/21/11 6:39 am - Owings Mills, MD
yeah I did.... BF tells me this all the time...   I always hate those because to me it means it doesn't weigh a lot... ROFL.

Nessa

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 6:38 am - NJ
Hey there!  I struggle with this every day.

I am almost 2.5 years out (no plastics...yet) and my all time high when I got banded in June 08 was 216.  Not sure what I was when I had RNY  in April 09, but now I am between 110 - 112.

I got down to 103 for a couple of months last winter, and I looked a little sickly and sharp (bony).

I had to go on the pill briefly and gained back 5 pounds to 108 in Feb or March.  Had my gallbladder out in May and for some reason, since then, I gained a couple back.

My scary number is 115...I will have an episode if I get to that.

I am maintaining this new weight with no problems, even if I get carby some days.  So, I will take my couple of pounds and live with it. 

I had my 2 year follow up in April and was 111; same exact as the year before, and my surgeon said I could put on a few....so I take comfort in that.

But, my body seems very happy at this weight; no worrying at all.  When I was 108, I was watching every last calorie.
ladybugnessa
on 9/21/11 6:41 am - Owings Mills, MD
111 wow...   how tall are you?

I'm 5'2" and a smidge... and last night bf and I were laying watching tv and he had his hand on my rib cage and starts telling me I'm too thin (I'm nearly 140 pounds) and I'm all bony... I've had other MEN tell me I'm too thin but women don't and doctors don't...

I keep thinking I should lose more but right now I maintain without effort... and I can eat a decent amount too  I average 1700 calories a day right now without formal exericse and I am maintaining.
Nessa

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 6:48 am - NJ
I am 5 feet even.  My hips are really bony and my daughter enjoys counting my ribs! 

I really don't know how many calories, I am guessing about 1200 - 1500, which sounds about right.

I have the demons in my head telling me to get back down to 103 which will never happen!  I wish they'd shut up already!

Funny how I didn't seem to notice being 100 pounds overweight, yet this little bit is driving me crazy!
ladybugnessa
on 9/21/11 6:52 am - Owings Mills, MD
AMEN...   I didn't care at 286 and turning over in bed left me out of breath but 5 pounds now?  I'm nuts....
Nessa

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 6:54 am - NJ
At least we aren't alone with the madness, right?

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 491 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 553 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 541 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 254 views
Recent Topics